• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Implementation Patterns: When to apply patterns?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Kent!
Head First Object Oriented Analysis & Design some times say that design patterns are applied at the implementation phase of software development. Head First Design Patterns say that design patterns can be applied at any phase(as I understood: analysis, design, implementation ). I agree, partially, with both. In my humble opinion, some times it is difficult to decide when. Does your book help us clarify moment that we can implent patterns?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Victor,

Finding the right time to make a decision is as important a skill as knowing how to make the decision. Too much too early and you delay feedback and give yourself a design you have to work around. Too little too late and you start to sink in complexity. Implementation Patterns doesn't address the timing of using patterns thoroughly. The patterns are all intended to be used at coding time. However, I am sure the book contains some of my bias towards deferring decisions until I am certain. I use this strategy whether I am working with architectural, analysis, design, implementation, or optimization decisions.

Regards,

Kent Beck
Three Rivers Institute

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic