• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

LDAP over HttpURLConnection?

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
As with so many questions around here, this one's an odd one.

I'm trying to figure out a difficult problem - how to make (essentially) an asynchronous HttpUrlConnection (or HttpsUrlConnection) from a servlet to a URL on the same server secured with LDAP. Normally, I'd encapsulate the functionality I need in a ServletFilter, but I'm basically needing to call another URL while continuing on with the servlet.

Is there any way for me to pick up the user's session information from the initial servlet call and pass those along?

I'd come up with another method, but I'm somewhat limited by the underlying COTS system with what I can do. Thanks in advance.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[TC:]   Is there any way for me to pick up the user's session information from the initial servlet call and pass those along?

What user's session information ?

Hint: 'cannot see the forest because all the trees are in the way'

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ya know, your 'hint' was vaguely unkind and entirely unhelpful.

In the end, it didn't matter - my coworkers finally took up my suggestion to circumvent the problem by taking an alternate route.

Nicholas Jordan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well sorry, there seems to be a general consensus not to try to do all the work for someone and I was just trying to follow that style. What I meant was one generally should generate a session ID at initial page request time and the solution seems remarkably obvious to me. Trying to asynchronous HttpUrlConnection (or HttpsUrlConnection) from a servlet to a URL on the same server secured with (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) seems to me error-prone unless these fancy tools had scheduling and user-allocation built in at design concepting, thus I thought my remark carefully before posting.

These happen, no big deal.
[ December 22, 2007: Message edited by: Nicholas Jordan ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic