• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I blew it!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I thought I was prepared, but didn't come close. Somebody give me some insight please. I have many other industry certifications including programming and networking, but this was extremely brutal. I did not spend a lot of time at Javaranch, so that was my first mistake. I spent a lot of time on mock exams downloaded from Internet and read both Sybex and Exam Cram books, but still BLEW IT. There weren't any questions even similar. I am now ordering the JQPlus exams and the Khalid book. I am on the right track here?
Needing your help and some therapy,
hambone

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry to hear about your results. It really is a difficult test.
If I never stumbled into javaranch, I'm not so sure I would have passed the test the first time through. JQplus is very good, definitely worth the money, as is Khalid. I would go through khalid before you start the JQplus though. ExamCram is a real good supplemental source. Use it with Khalid. Ask lots of questions here. This is probably your best resource. Before I started studying for the exam, last year, I remember reading that a lot of experienced programmers don't pass the first time through. I took a class on Java. My professor told me the most difficult test for him was the Programmer's(he also passed developer and architect), due to everything that you get tested on. Good luck.
- Sean

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
sorry to hear about your result.SCJP is definitely tough.Khalid and JQPlus are a definite must for SCJP.Do a lot of coding.Appear
in as many mock exams as possible.Note down your weakest areas and try to work on them.
Good luck
-akila

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haven't taken the test yet, but my opinion is that you need to be coding as well as reading.
My coding is reinforcing what I know, and I find out what I don't understand when I get a compile err/run time err/unexpected results. Even though you think you understand, the proof is in the coding/testing.
I think it really helps reading/coding and reading the posts on Javaranch. I only read the ones where its some territory I covered. Then once I reach something knew when reading/coding, I'll do searches here on the posts to get more information. Some people here don't realize they can search, and it is a wealth of information.
Hey...you could probably just search on Cindy's posts and learn that way
Thats my .02
Dan

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just exactly which mock exams were you using?
"There weren't any questions even similar"
I am curious as to why so many other people believe that the mock exams they have downloaded have been so helpful?
Marcus

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ham Bone,
Lots of people fail the exam the first time. I did too. I think you will find Khalid extremely useful and I agree with Daniel that it is important to write lots of code. Write something, see if it works and if it doesn't, find out where you went wrong.

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do you have Java programming experience? Pardon me for asking this, but it wasnt clear in your post whether your programming experience included Java.
You should be having your "report card" with you. I suggest you concentrate on the weak areas - where you have scored less than 50%. Write a lot of code and read the Khalid's book once. Ofcourse wade around in JCHQ and Javaranch. Some of the discussions here are extremely informative and useful.
Good luck,
Ajith

Ham Bone
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the replies. The mock exams I used were from the levteck.com page. I didn't get any questions from BB's "hardest exam questions", or from EXAM CRAM examples. The real test questions seemed to be much more difficult than any mock exam I used, with the fundamentals buried in confusing details. At least now I know what to expect.
Yes, believe it or not I have actual programming experience. Most of it has come from scripting and streaming media applications.
I found that I didnt spend enough time in File I/O or AWT. Also had trouble with nested For-Loops, so that it what I will concentrate on now.
Also, If I could give any advice from learned experience, it would "DO NOT RUSH!". I set an aggressive timetable of six weeks and stubbornly did not compromise. Take your time, get it right the first time.
HB

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm sorry to hear you failed in your first attempt, but take heart, if you search this forum you'll find you aren't the first.
Please read the JavaRanch Name Policy and re-register using a name that complies with the rules.
Thanks for your cooperation.
------------------
Jane Griscti
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java� 2 Platform

The City calls upon her steadfast protectors. Now for a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic