• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Should I complain to prometric about a test center?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm not trying to be a jerk but I think Prometric should know about how bad one of their testing facilities is. Let me know if I'm being crazy here....
Walk in the place, and immediately I feel like I'm in some weird government psycho ward (not that I know from experience..just guessing: ). Hard to really explain but the place was just odd. Shaq carpet, see into rooms that are all messy, people just standing around sitting and sitting on photocopy machines.
Anyway, the reciptionist guy buzzes on the phone for Tim to come up front. Tim meets me up front says a quick "hi" shakes my hand and says what are you hear for? I mentioned the Sun exam and he goes "Ok follow me and we'll go to the exam room." So we go outside as he says he's taking a shortcut. We get to a door and it's locked so we have to go back and side and he takes me through a maze of cooridors. I tried to make some small talk on the way through the maze of One Flew Over the Kookos Nest building but he wasn't interested. We finally get to the door of this little cubicle room. 6'X6' room. He boots up the computer and my name is there to take the exam. I show him my two forms of id and he goes ok your all set. I ask "So I can use this paper here?" pointing to 2 pieces of white paper one with already some stuff scribbled on it and crossed out. On top of the paper was a chewed on pencil with no eraser and a really null point. Next to it a red bic pen no cap and chewed on as well. He says "Sure, use any of that." He leaves I sit down to use the computer. I go to click on the first ok and the mouse barely works. It wasn't that it was even dirty inside it was just old and really messed up. I swear it wasn't easy to get the pointer onto the correct circles. Not only that but you'd think they could have a desk where the mouse cord came from the top to the mouse not from some Hard drive below the desk. In other words the whole time the mouse cord is in the way of the mouse because it's coming from right below the mouse from the hard drive on the floor. That drove me crazy during the exam. Constantly having to hit the stupid cord away and work had to get the mouse to be on the right circle. Then at least once during the exam there is this shrill blood curdling screech that made almost have a heart attack. On top of that the room was on the same wall as the bathroom and every flush sounded like it was in the room. I felt like I was sitting in some utility closet that the janitor's use. Actually, truthfully, I think that's what it was and they just painted it white and put a computer in it. Also I was fortunate I didn't have to write a lot because on the last thing I was writing the red pen gave out of ink and barely worked. Sure maybe the pencil would have worked but you think they could have had a decent sharpened pencil and an extra pen in the little room. Finally I'm done. Hit the end thing and print button. Tim had told me when done to meet him back up at the front desk. Well now, I'm a bit concerned also because even though I hit end and print... the screen still said "hit reprint to print out your results." I know this isn't the testing place's fault but SUN should have the computer lock up or something. It still looks the application is still running. There's all kinds of weird people walking around outside the door and I was paranoid someone was going to go in the cube and mess with the computer. (You know you go this far..you don't want anything to mess up). Well I go to find the front of this building which is another job in and of itself- winding corridors past some massage training room, then past a computer library where a bunch of people are playing dominoes and cards. Somehow I make it to the front and the reciptionist pages Tim. I decide to take a pit stop in the bathroom. Shocker...no soap anywhere to be found. Not even an empty dispenser or a mark on the sink that a bar of soap at least once rested there. Oh man, I just realized I shook Tim's hand. Man that whole place was just disgusting. I wish I had more time to describe it. Fortunately I passed the exam or I would have been really pissed. Still I think prometric should scratch this center off their list. People are nervous enough going to take this exam, who needs the added frustration of wondering if the pen is going to run out of ink. Seriously what would have happened if I had a problem in there? Tim was nowhere to be found that I was aware of. Anyway, I think prometric should know aobut this place. Am I wrong for complaining?

Author & Gold Digger
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
According to what Prometric says about their test centers (Test Center Tour), those kind of things should not happen. I think that for the benefit of future test candidates, you should complain and also let Sun know what is going on. Don't make a big deal out of it, but it would be good that those kind of things don't stay unheard...
[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: Valentin Crettaz ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
what are you saying ? i believe you! but if this happens ? i would go crazy and may be leave the test and fight with the managers of the center.
please tell us what would be prometrics' and suns' reply on this . as in my country i would expect worse than that and may be never buy a voucher for the exam unless i found a nice center first.
hey i think you also should checked the center before selecting it.we do select the center right?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have to say I agree entirely. When you go for the test you are nervous enough without added pressures and agrivations. One of the best pieces of advice I read about taking the test was to keep calm not to panic and stay relaxed .. which is pretty impossible when you are having to put up with such conditions. There's no way you should have had to put up with all that ( in my opinion anyways )
But .. just so that anyone reading this thread doesn't run away screaming and decide not to do the test, I have to say the centre I went to was excellent, clean quiet, the bathroom had soap , the people were helpfull. When I arrived they asked if I wanted to sit and revise a bit before sitting the exam, they explained about the paper, and there were multiple pens and pencils etc.
Hopefully Sun can remove, or sort out, any bad test centres so that everyone can have a better environment to take the test in.
Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When I took the test I took a few blank sheets of papers and a couple of pencils with me. Just in case! I was not sure what kinds of test center it would be. But I was given a dry-erase sheet- kind of like the white boards and a pen . At the end of the exam i had to return it.
For another test that I took at another prometric center, I was given a blank sheet of paper and two pencils.
I do agree that you should notify Sun as well as Prometric about the state of affairs at the test center.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My OET exam was on November 20,2021 in 1501 south clinton st, Baltimore, the day before test day a lady called me to remind me and asked if I had any issues, I said if the writing subtest being at first is okay and she accepted that they can change the exam format for me, on test day I remind the manager (Tyreis Brown Bond) about what I heard yesterday but she got angry while I told her that it wasn’t matter, but when I checked the audio it was soundless and after continuous rising of my hand she didn’t care, so I lost part A listening completely and called me outside, after 20 minutes she allowed me to continue other parts of the exam while I was anxious and in tension. I had to repeat the exam because it was incomplete. after that each time I am going for the OET exam I got anxious and can’t pass it,
What did you do if you were instead of me?

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic