• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Newly Minted SCJP

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks to everyone on this site for their great questions, answers, and feedback! I've not done a lot of posting, but instead a lot of reading -- and it paid off. I've got a brand spankin' new SCJP certification!
Gonna take some time off before doing the SCWCD and SCJD tests!

Author & Gold Digger
IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good job Leilani

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats! Well Done!! Would you please delineate your exam. experience.

Angela Margot
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks...
As for experience and studying, I've been doing Java development for several years. I used the Bill Brogden "Exam Cram" book, I understand it is no longer being published, but it is an excellent source for someone with experience. I also used the RHE book, not so much for studying as for the tests it included, also very useful.
The week before the test I just took mock exams, see the exams they have listed on this site.
I wasn't particularly dedicated to studying for this cert - between full time work, moving, etc I think that I may have dedicated a total of 4-6 weeks of serious effort to get it.... but I do have real experience.
My only comment about this cert is that it does seem to make one feel like a human compiler. It was still a necessary experience.

Perseus Alcides
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"My only comment about this cert is that it does seem to make one feel like a human compiler." I do agree with you. That also forces one to memorize a lot of things. Sometimes I wonder, is it really necessary to test such things? I myself an MCSD, MCDBA, MCSE with years of programming experinece. I always just tried to be a rational being while taking those exams. But this time it seems just being rational would not pay off. I have to use my memory cell too.
Thank you for the advice, anyway.
Perseus

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I was wondering if you could tell me how the difficulty level of the scjp is compared to the difficulty of the microsoft exams.
Thanks

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Alan,
I have not taken the SCJP yet (am studying for 1.4). Perhaps the biggest difference in terms of difficulty is that there are braindumps for the M$ exams which give the EXACT questions. Searching through bunches of these will allow you to pick out nearly all of the questions that can appear for a particular topic. After that some research and lodging the correct answers in your memory will get you a pass even if you have practically no knowledge of the subject (handy way to get the final exam for MCSE e.g.). If you know the subject you can pass some M$ exams in half an hour
Java mock exams are not exact copies of the questions on the exam and mean that you have to understand the question and the underlying topic to figure out the correct answer.
Amongst M$ exam takers "Transcender" is a mock exam product which is treated with God-like status. I have not come across any commercial product for Java which is held in the same reverence - is this because the free mock exams are so good?
Regards,
Fintan

Originally posted by Alan Phillips:
Hi,
I was wondering if you could tell me how the difficulty level of the scjp is compared to the difficulty of the microsoft exams.
Thanks

Angela Margot
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Fortunately I was able to use Transcenders and books (no dumps) to get through my M$ certification. Two of the M$ tests I took required pure memorization, the other two were more comprehensive. The first two M$ tests I took were 70-175 and 70-176, coding in VB. I had never previously coded in VB, so it was a lot of memorization. The next two tests were on architecture and SQL, both concepts that are familiar to anyone who has programmed and worked with databases. They didn't require memorization.
I've programmed in Java for several years, and finally decided to get certified. The SCJP2 test required an understanding of coding, syntax, and concepts of the Java language.
The biggest difference between the M$ and Sun tests were that the Sun tests had several programming examples. I don't recall any programming on any of the M$ tests, there was some SQL on the one M$ test, but again mostly multiple choice on concepts.
Of the two tests, the SCJP has more direct meaning for me. It is a certification that is directly applicable to the job I do.

Angela Margot
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If there were Transcenders for the SCJP that would be wonderful -- they have correct answers. When taking mock exams you have to be careful that the answers are correct. Anyone can put an exam together -- including answers, even the occasional wrong answer.
Of the Java mocks I put the most faith in Marcus's, Dan Chisholm's, and a couple others. When taking a mock exam it is wise to look up and verify the answers if you are unsure.

Alan Phillips
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great! Thank you very much for the info. I'll probably take the scjp in the next two weeks, but since I have little "experience" coding (well, i do VBA stuff to make my life easier) I was thinking that a scjp + the new .net exams might be helpful.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic