• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Failed Miserably.........

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Took SCJP2 today. Failed terribly. Reading yous guys comments here makes me more determined to pass 2nd time around, and with a high mark. Failing is not the end. Showed me where I am weak, and what I need to do next time. I will not let it beat me. Watch this space!!! PS: I Never worked in IT, have been studying from home so have not had the luxury of real life Java experience like some others.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
you're making a step forward toward success
With such a desicion, Good luck.
Each time you feel down, just come here and read about the other's tips and advice, you'll surely get motivated
Once again good luck.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Chris,
Don't worry, just try again. I barely made it through! I thought it was a difficult exam. Sun doesn't release the pass/fail rates, but I bet many people fail. Plus, it's also difficult that there were some surprises on the exam, had I known, I would have read up on some of the methods. Go through the sections you had most difficulty with and give them another shot!
Alan Phillips
[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: Alan Phillips ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Chris,
what books are you reading? Are you just learning enough Java for SCJP without reading any books about programming in general? Maybe we can suggest something which develops the programmer's mindset.
-Barry

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Chris:
I am in the same boat. I do not have java programming experience (though I have programming experience in other languages). Neverthless, Java is tough cookie if you do not have any programming experience.
I am giving myself more time (so far 2 months). I have read Thinking in Java and Now I am reading Ivor Hortons Beginning Java. Later does not assume any java experience and it is very easy read.
I guess failure is a stepping stone for success. I am sure you will come around with deeper understanding of Java than any novice who passes it in first atempt.
Post your questions on the programmer forum. It helps alot...
All the best.
Thanks
Barkat

Chris Dodge
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Guys,
Thanks for the encouragement. I know I can do it, and do it well. I have been studying through a correspondance college in UK, but also purchased Bill Brogden's Exam Cram, which was heavy reading. Also Complete Java 2 Certification Study Guide & Exam notes which were excellent.
I think my main focus now has to be to do loads of coding to test everything, and understand the deeper aspects of the language. Reading and understanding is very different to practical understanding.
Sometimes find it hard to think what to get a program to do though. Any idea's or suggestions??

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hard luck Chris.
It's nice to hear from somebody with the balls to admit when they've failed this exam. It's not an easy exam, despite what you may read from some who post on this board.
Keep plugging away and I would advise you to study a topic and then cement the knowledge with some practical programming tasks (nothing massive, just write some quick classes to implement the subject).
Good luck.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Chris Dodge:
Guys,
Sometimes find it hard to think what to get a program to do though. Any idea's or suggestions??

After working through an exam study guide I started taking some mock exams on the web and quickly realized that I needed to spend more time writing Java programs to improve my understanding of the material. Later, I made those programs available on the web as a mock exam. Click on the URL in my signature.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, Chris
It is my personal experience. Try small programs whenever you are not sure about what a code segment will do. One or a few lines of code really help a lot.......
Good luck
Sandra

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Took SCJP2 today. Failed terribly. Reading yous guys comments here makes me more determined to pass 2nd time around, and with a high mark. Failing is not the end. Showed me where I am weak, and what I need to do next time. I will not let it beat me. Watch this space!!! PS: I Never worked in IT, have been studying from home so have not had the luxury of real life Java experience like some others.

Don't loose hope, keep trying.

Roy Cantos
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Don't loose hope, keep trying.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You certainly seem to have the resolve to get on with it and that is winning more than half the battle. Personally, I am still too scared to even attempt a mock exam at home. I am getting 62% on the Java Roundup page at Javaranch.com, and the advice at Javaranch is that you need to score 100% in the Java Roundup before you even consider looking at the Java Certification questions.
I was advised that the ONLY way I will improve my grading at this stage is to now write real working Java code (small fragments).
[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Damien Slemish ]

Dan Chisholm
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Damien Slemish:
Personally, I am still too scared to even attempt a mock exam at home. I am getting 62% on the Java Roundup page at Javaranch.com, and the advice at Javaranch is that you need to score 100% in the Java Roundup before you even consider looking at the Java Certification questions.

Damien,
You could also try the "Fundamentals" page of my mock exam at the URL contained in my signature. Next, you could move on to the single topic exam pages.
My single topic exams are intended for use as you work through your exam study guide book chapter-by-chapter. After you complete the your guide book you can then move on to the comprehensive exam page.
Most of the mock exams that you find on the web are intended for use after you complete your study guide book. Mine are intended for use as you work through the book.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic