• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What do u think of these 10 certifications?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys,

British Columbia Institute of Technology(BCIT) is offering a joint program in patnership with University of British Columbia(UBC). The program name is Network Administration and Security Professional (NASP).

The very impressive (for me amazing) thing of the program is that they are covering 10 certifications in just 10 months. Here are the certs:

• CompTIA A+ Core Hardware Certification exam;
  • CompTIA A+ Operating system Technologies Certification exam;
  • CompTIA Network+ Certification exam;
  • CompTIA Security+ Certification exam;
  • Microsoft Exam 70-270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering
  • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
  • Microsoft Exam 70-290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment;
  • Microsoft Exam 70-291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure;
  • Microsoft Exam 70-299: Implementing and Administering Security in a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network; and
  • The Linux Professional Institute Junior Level Administration (LPIC -1 exam); and
  • The Linux Professional Institute Intermediate Administration (LPIC-2) Certification exams.

• I have few questions regarding this program.

Do u think:
    1. Student will be able to write/pass these 10 certs in 10 months?
    2. After geting these 10 certs on CV, job chances will be higher than before?
    3. These 10 certs are in-demand IT certification in general and in particular to the Canadian market?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Bye,
    Viki.
    [ January 18, 2006: Message edited by: Vikrama Sanjeeva ]

Ranch Hand
    Hibernate Spring Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I think that would be a lot of work if you're starting from ground-zero and building yourself up to that point. (Though, I imagine it *is* quite possible, but I'd question the usefulness if one were starting from no knowledge, as it would seme to me that it's just a paper cert then.) Still, I think for someone who has some base knowledge in at least some of these areas that it would be entirely possible to achieve these certificates in a 10 month period.

It's an interesting concept, to say the least.

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Now, certification is just a paper may be or may not be trusted by your boss. But it is a drive to learn more advanced knowledge.

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Certification can be only a paper, but if you manage to get these 10 "papers", of course no one could doubt that you have some knowledge.

For instance, LPIC-2 is much more difficult than LPIC-1, and requires a lot of experience and practicing to achieve. I can't talk about the others.

Can you really tell me that we aren't dealing with suspicious baked goods? And then there is this tiny ad:
    a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
    https://gardener-gift.com
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic