• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What happened to JCERT initiative?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does any body know what happened to JCERT initiative. A few years back there were cross-vendor certifications. What happened to the initiative ?

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To put it bluntly, it seems to have died an ugly death.

I remember jCert quite well - I was working through it myself at the time - and it somewhat fell apart from all appearances. I don't know what the politics behind the scenes may have been, but I would strongly suspect that it was simply more a matter of diverging needs and a disappearing call for a cross-company certification that would be accepted.

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Found this link yesterday regarding the end of jCert from 2004. Thought I'd share.

Muhammad Asif
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your reply...

Guys, Don't you think we should put up an effort as to why it has happened...
I mean People who are in the middle of certification tracks, are at once lost. For example, say I've passed IBM 486 exam. What benefit will i get from it now? Should'nt people be given the advantage for what they have acheived previously?

If IBM has started Rational related certification, it should also develop a bridge exam for people who have already passed ibm-486, that should only deal with rational rose related stuff, and then people can get the required certification. I feel that we should collectively stand against this thing, where companies simply close previous tracks.

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Aside from the fact that jCert seems to have been discontinued two years ago?

I don't know honestly that it's really "worth" doing anything about. IBM's 486, for instance, is used for other things internally to IBM's own program such as the Enterprise Developer role for WebSphere 5.0. There are some exams that are accepted across company programs (SCJP, for instance, in some cases), but aside from that, I don't know that there's any real utility anymore in worrying about the cross-company idea for certifications.

As to the benefit you derive from any exam or certification, that's something that (as I've argued many times before) is somewhat between yourself and any third party - it's a matter of rather subjective evaluation on the value of such a thing. I've found over time that certifications help to lend a sense of one's knowing what they're talking about when discussing technologies, but your mileage may vary.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In politics sense, Several vendors established JCert Initiative to fight against M$ product competitions. Later, they left this alliance gradually. IBM has no reason to maintain these certification tests, e.g. 000-486, 000-484.

Moreover, the trend of certification world is to minimize the number of tests required. OCP is a good example. So, IBM may not intoduce ICED v6 at this time.

Originally posted by Theodore Casser:
There are some exams that are accepted across company programs (SCJP, for instance, in some cases), but aside from that, I don't know that there's any real utility anymore in worrying about the cross-company idea for certifications.

I don't think other vendor companies will use SCJP as one of the requirements in their certification programs after the end of the JCert initiative. They are competitors in J2EE markets.

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter Sin:
In politics sense, Several vendors established JCert Initiative to fight against M$ product competitions. Later, they left this alliance gradually. IBM has no reason to maintain these certification tests, e.g. 000-486, 000-484.

Except that IBM uses them for their own titles. But they might change that down the road, so who knows?

I don't think other vendor companies will use SCJP as one of the requirements in their certification programs after the end of the JCert initiative. They are competitors in J2EE markets.

For a while, IBM used SCJP as a requirement for some titles - I haven't had a chance to go looking, so I might now be in error. *shrugs*

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic