• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OMG UML Learning/Exam Advice

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I'm currently trying to get my SCJD project ready for submission and I'm thinking about the next certification challenge.

I've found working towards a particular certification to be an excellent way to learn a subject (e.g. the Java platform) if it's not something I necessarily use on a day-to-day basis.

So I'm looking at the UML Fundamental exam next. I don't have much UML knowledge beyond being able to (more-or-less) understand class diagrams when they are presented in a book.

There is only one book available specifically for the OMG exam and I've read some discussion of it's pros and cons on this forum. But what I want to know is whether this book is suitable for a newbie like myself or is there a book which would better serve a complete beginner? Sadly there is no "Head First UML 2.0" - perhaps there is an equivalent?

Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
UML 2 Certification Guide: Fundamental and Intermediate Exams (Tim Weilkiens, Bernd Oestereich) covers it all.
Info: http://www.oose.de/umlzertifizierung/ (look for that english book)
Unfortunately for me, the english version was only published after I did the exam.

It's specifically written to prepare you for the certification.
Read the exam's coverage plan on the OMG website. The exam strictly follows the plan.
Here's a link to the version of the uml specs that matches the plan.

Regards, Jan

David A. Scott
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks.

My question really is - does that book serve well as an introduction to UML for the complete beginner?

Sometimes books written specifically for certifications are geared purely towards cramming the exam content and aren't much good for learning.

Jan Cumps
Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's not an UML tutorial. It's specifically written as OCUP certification exam tutorial.

Regards, Jan

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
read :
UML 2 Certification Guide ( Tim Weilkiens, Bernd Oestereich) it is a good book and helped vastly improve my UML.

UML2.0 in a nutshell O'Rielley. it has great examples.

Read the UML spec. It adds some details not covered in the above reading.

Presuming that you are working as a coder. try using the knowledge you gained from your reading to improve your UML. Focus on usecase, Package, class, activity, interaction diagrams.

Once you have done all this reading. Go back and do it a second time.

I don't know of any actual practice exams. although brain dump sites are considered cheating on this web site. You may feel tempted to look at them to see if you know UML enough to take the test.
[ June 12, 2007: Message edited by: peter cooke ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic