• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Difference between Sun Certification and Brainbench

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone,
Could any one tell me the difference between Sun Certification and Brainbench exams?Of the two,which one has more weightage in terms of getting job.Even though I have cleared Sun Certification for Web services, they ask whether I have cleared the Brainbench.I have no idea about brainbench so could anyone forward me the url where I can find the different levels of brainbench tests available for Java along with the book references I can follow?

Thanks,
bobby

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As always, answering which one of the two is going to carry greater weight with a potential employer is rather subjective - it's really something that each one is going to decide on their own.

Insofar as I'm concerned... I don't give Brainbench's exams any weight whatsoever (and have not, when making hiring decisions). There are a few major failings with Brainbench's exams that render them useless to me:
  • Security - Brainbench's exams are issued over the internet on another computer in a non-proctored environment. There is no assurance that cheating has not occurred, or that the person whose name is on the certificate is even the person who really took the exam.
  • Open Book - EVEN if you can assume that the person's the one who took the exam, you have no mechanism to know that the candidate did not look up the answers in another window while working
  • Timeliness - Sun is bad with this as well, but I've found certain of Brainbench's exams seem to need more of a refresh topically
  • Marketplace Reputation - Perhaps it's more based on the perception from when they first emerged, but I know that many of the other professionals I work with and talk to consider Brainbench to be poor-quality.

• I'm not going to make it sound like I think Sun's exams are perfect. (SCDJWS could really stand to be updated, for example, and the software can be glitchy at test centers.) But... in my experience, I've found that Sun's own certifications enjoy a greater weight in the marketplace.

Ranch Hand
    Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I recently took Brainbench exam for SCJP and it looks a bit tougher than the actual SCJP from SUN!

pie sneak
    Mac VI Editor Ruby
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    More opinions on brainbench.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic