• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Change Itinerary and Segments

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

The Change Itinerary UC says :
"Customer selects the segment to change. In order to change, the segment is deleted and the Prepare Itinerary Use Case is executed"

----
Once more, it's important to clearly understand what a segment is really, because if we don't capture this concept the right way, the Use Case will be badly realized!.

- Option 1 :
I can consider without any risk on this assumption that an itinerary (either one-way or round-trip) has an outbound part and may be an inbound part too.

It makes also sense to think that a traveller would like to change either the departure or the return part of the itinerary or may be both!
But does it make sense that a traveller would like to change a simple part of his departure or a simple part of his return??? I don't think so.

So the granularity of this change would be :
Either departure or return, but not a piece of the departure, or a piece of the return.

So the concept of segments would mean either departure or return!
So the multiplicity of the BDOM would be irrelevant
BUT this way of thinking would be VERY consistent with the Prepare itineary use case.

-Option 2 :
If we consider that a segment is very fined-grained, for example on the outbound way A-B-C and change the AB segment.
How can we change AB without changing BC to, because of course BC would no more be consistent? For example:
Before change :
Take off A at 7, Land at B a 8. Take off at B at 9 ,Land at C at 10.
After Change of AB only :
Take off A a 9, Land at B at 10. Of course I won't be able any more to take off from B at 9.
So segments are inconsistent.

Any comments, about the granularity of a segment and the consistency of the segments after a change?

Regards.
Annick

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Annick

I think that the word "segment" alone, out of context, is really useless, it's a too generic term: "a part of a whole".
My advice: try different combinations: " XXX segment"
trip segment
itinerary segment
flight segment
air segment
Airlines people use the word segment as a shortcut for differnt concepts.

Marie Pierre

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think it all depends on how you define segment.
-----
first option :-

I define segment as 1 take off and landing. So, if I take a flight from
A->B->C (round trip) by changing flights at B, then I consider that I will have 4 segments (2 for each trip). But if I don't change flights at B, then I will have only 2 segments(1 for each segment). By assuming in this way, I don't have to change the BDOM.

And if I change one of my segment (A->B) to A->D, I still consider B->C as valid because the customer may have some other way to reach from D to C (by bus or train). And the price itinerary takes each segment of the itinerary to calculate the price.

-----------------
Second option:-

The second option is to consider A->B->C as one segment and the return trip as another segment. So altogether only 2 segments (instead of 4 as mentioned above). This will work out very easily , because now I can change any of my segment(either forward or backward journey) without affecting the other. But now the problem is, we have to change the BDOM (segment-flight relationship).

So both option has got a catch in it ...

I don't think the assignment mentions that the segments should be connected each other. If so, then why don't we go with the first option.
(By the way, I don't know how you have defined a segment)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Giju,

I would go with the first option because it matches the BDM.

About the connectivity of the segments - I would assume that an itinerary is comprised of segments with end points that match.

My above assumption is based on the post conditions of the Prepare Itinerary use case:

An unpaid customer itinerary that contains the city, flight number, date, time, and seat number for a departure flight; and city, flight number, date, time and seat number for return flight.
It could also contain city, flight number, date, time and seat number for each leg of the flight if a lay over is necessary.

My interpretation of this paragraph is that a flight (itinerary to be precise) is a set of legs (segments) which are connected.

-- Dan

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Dan,

If we go by what is exactly written ,then you are abs. right.But If I am not wrong then does that mean that you are putting the case of travelling a segment in an itinerary by any other than FBN out of csope?

What do u say?

Thanks

Annick BOEL
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, I'm back!

Thank you for your answers, but it's still not clear in my head, what the best choice is.
Could all of you argue a little more.

Thanks.
Annick

Giju George
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dan Drillich:

About the connectivity of the segments - I would assume that an itinerary is comprised of segments with end points that match.

My interpretation of this paragraph is that a flight (itinerary to be precise) is a set of legs (segments) which are connected.

-- Dan

That's fine Dan. But then how do you change only one part of the itinerary (I mean segment). You will then end up with unconnected segments

Changing just a segment is a bit strange to me. I have visited many online booking sites, and no where will it allow you to change JUST one segment. I mean, if you select that you want to go from A->B, and if the system respond with A->C->B, there is no option to change JUST one segment (A->C or C->B). You will have to start all over again !!!
[ August 08, 2005: Message edited by: Giju George ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic