• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCEA 5 Part 2 - Assignment Sent

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear Ranchers,

Today 09:00pm, i sent my assignment, i would like to do some comments, maybe help someone.

Follow a bit description about these items

- Class diagram with 25 classes including classes of domain business model assignment.

- Component diagram with aproximately 35 components and 9 interfaces, i used j2ee design patterns, with stereotypes for each component.

- Deployment Diagram with a Web Client, Web Server, Application Server and Database Server nodes describing the connection protocol for each node.

- A Risk List with 3 risks identified and mitigation (i can't write about them).

- My sequence diagram followed the basic flow steps for each use case, displaying the communication among components in my architeture proposal.

- I used UML 1.4 with Jude Community
- I don't used any framework, only J2EE design patterns.
- Quantity of hours to complete my project: 30 hours.

My exam essay is marked for next Thursday.

Good Luck for all ranchers
[ November 26, 2007: Message edited by: Anderson Fonseca ]

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks. That's great information, without being any information at all.

Seriously though, it sounds very similar to what people said about SCEA I, with regards to number of classes, components and diagrams. Just a quick read of the assignment, a candidate would sorta conceptualize a solution like that. Still, it's good to hear it. Just makes me feel a little more comfortable with the direction I'm going in.

The assignment is intimidating when you read it. But when you break it down, alot of things should fall into place. I mean, they tell you a request goes out, and a response comes back - and we know that a front controller is an important design pattern - well, it makes sense that a solution that goes in that direction might make sense.

Even the components diagrams. I mean, of course those core components you mentioned will be involved - it isn't really an enterprise architecture without a database somewhere, is it?

So thanks. I hope your 30 hours of hard work pay off in high marks and great praise from Sun.

-Cameron McKenzie

New JavaRanch Thread: Which J2EE Design Patterns are Obsolete - Which are more important than ever?
[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Cameron McKenzie ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you. Great Informations.

Good luck for your part 3 exam.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Anderson Fonseca:
Dear Ranchers,

Today 09:00pm, i sent my assignment, i would like to do some comments, maybe help someone.

Follow a bit description about these items

- Class diagram with 25 classes including classes of domain business model assignment.

- Component diagram with aproximately 35 components and 9 interfaces, i used j2ee design patterns, with stereotypes for each component.

I have approx the same amount of classes in my class diagram.
How did you manage to have more components in your application than classes?

Anderson Fonseca
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I didn't care about relationships between classes and components, i tried extends only business domain model adding elements identified in use cases brief description and basic flow steps.

My component diagram represent a structure with elements architeturaly significants (controller, view, helper, application service, application controller, session facade, bussines object, transfer object, web service broker and so on) applying j2ee design patterns.
[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Anderson Fonseca ]

Morten Franorge
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I didn't care about relationships between classes and components, i tried extends only business domain model adding elements identified in use cases brief description and basic flow steps.

My component diagram wanted represent a structure with elements architeturaly significants (controller, view, helper, application service, application controller, session facade, bussines object, transfer object, web service broker and so on) applying j2ee design patterns.

I'm using JEE 5.0, which deprecates many (all?) of these patterns.

Anderson Fonseca
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[Quoted question about how to solve the assignment removed (as was the question itself) - Andrew]

I can�t say about my assignment content, but when i was reading, found clear references in background section about in which context i should keep focus.

[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Anderson Fonseca ]
[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Andrew Monkhouse ]

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I'm using JEE 5.0, which deprecates many (all?) of these patterns.

That's a fantastic statement. Can you expand on it? Maybe even link to an article on it? That'd be interesting.

New JavaRanch Thread: Which J2EE Design Patterns are Obsolete - Which are more important than ever?

-Cameron
[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Cameron McKenzie ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Dear Ranchers,

Today 09:00pm, i sent my assignment...

You are the man. Unfortunately my job is playing havoc with my certification schedule. If only I could break my habits of eating food and living indoors.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[quoted comment on a partial solution removed. (as was the comment posted earlier) - Andrew]

in EJB 3.0 the use of injection is a new common practice... the service locators is still a good practice? or some of them were replaced by the injection statements?

One more question, I know the benefits of Service Locator Pattern... do you remember one of the Service Locator Cache Pattern, the one of caching the home interface in order to avoid the overhead of retriving it?... so... in EJB 3.0 the Home dissapared, the cache is not longer needed and the caching of the InitialContext is not longer needed either. The service Locator will be good in any way in the EJB 3.0?

[Juan - I had to remove the section you had quoted. Without it I am not certain your post still makes sense. I believe that as a more generic question it should probably be in it's own topic, possibly in a different forum. Regards, Andrew]

Juan Pablo Crossley
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One more question about the same think... patterns in EJB 3, the Value List Pattern was created because the EJB 2.1 has the feature of retriving the data just in time, but, then you can have a list of Entities and iterate over them to create value objects of the selected page.

How will it apply in the new approach of EJB 3?... the methods setMaxResults and setFirstResult will play a part of it, but I still don't get all the picture in here. Everytime the client call the getNext method the Value List must execute the query with the setFirstResult and return the next values?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When I read through Core J2EE patterns again in preparation for part I of SCEA 5 beta, I made notes regarding which patterns I thought were still useful, and which I thought were obsolete. I incorporated these notes into a book review, which you may find useful:

Core J2EE Patterns book review

Juan Pablo Crossley
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by David Sheth:
When I read through Core J2EE patterns again in preparation for part I of SCEA 5 beta, I made notes regarding which patterns I thought were still useful, and which I thought were obsolete. I incorporated these notes into a book review, which you may find useful:

Core J2EE Patterns book review

Cool link, but are these notes "approved" by SUN? I will try to download the new beta catalog from blueprints in order to avoid any mistake using the J2EE patterns in the JEE beta 5 test.

David Sheth
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, these are not "approved" by Sun. As I mentioned, I made notes regarding which patterns I thought were still useful, and which I thought were obsolete. My thoughts are based on what changed in the spec from J2EE 1.4 to JEE 5.

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In an effort not to hijack this thread, which started out on a completely different topic, I started a new thread about which J2EE design patterns are now considered obsolete, and which ones might be most pertinent to a successful JEE 5 architecture, and for that matter, passing the SCEA 5 beta.

I'd love to organize your thoughts on the topic in that thread.

Thanks.

-Cameron McKenzie

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've had to remove quite a few posts as I felt they were asking too many questions or too much detail on potential solutions. Please remember that for the Beta assignment NO such discussion is allowed.

Even Anderson's original email comes dangerously close to providing too much information.

Please try and respect the non-disclosure requirement of the Beta. If managing this becomes too much of a chore for the other moderators and myself, or if Sun request it, then all messages that even mention the Beta assignment will be deleted - no clean-ups.

Regards, Andrew

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[Deleted] See my comments in the post immediately before this one to find out why. Andrew

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Cameron McKenzie:
In an effort not to hijack this thread, which started out on a completely different topic, I started a new thread about which J2EE design patterns are now considered obsolete, and which ones might be most pertinent to a successful JEE 5 architecture, and for that matter, passing the SCEA 5 beta.

I'd love to organize your thoughts on the topic in that thread.

Thanks.

-Cameron McKenzie

Hi All

Yes, I think this is all helpful information for an architect. I am imagining mentoring junior programmers on a project and basically I would ask myself, how do I communicate the design and architecture to the other members of the team.

How much understanding do they have?
How much understanding do they need to have to complete their tasks?
How much understanding do I have of the business requirements?
How much detail do I need to show?
What are my trade-offs?

For example if do not need to show a hundred interfaces then I wont do it.
I will show basic abstractions and types but keep it simple as possible. In other word I do not have to program or design everything, because I hope I am becoming the architect. Design is always at a level lower than architecture is any case. And this advice doesn't break the confidentially agreement with Sun.

I just want to know how does one represent annotations in UML notation?

TIA
[ November 28, 2007: Message edited by: Peter Pilgrim ]

Anderson Fonseca
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Part 3 finished wait until Feb, 15, 2008

eat bricks! HA! And here's another one! And a tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic