• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Regarding SCEA Part-2 Assignment (After checking All answers in Java Ranch)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi This is Shaumitra

I have cleared SCEA Part1 back in June-2007. I have downloaded the SCEA-Part2 assignment 15 days back. I would appreciate answers of following questions, on few as i just want confirmation from guys who already cleared this:

1)There is no time limit for SCEA Part-2 Assignment from date of download right (Y/N)

2)What is SCEA 5, i saw many posts in Java Ranch. My assignment doesn't talk about version. The score seat heading of my test report for Part-1 is:
Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for Java2 Platform Enterprise Edition Technology.Is SCEA related to different JAVA/EJB version as well?

2)Does SCEA assignment take account Java versions like i Java 1.4, Java 5 now Java 6, i guess no since SCEA is exam about architecting a proposed business solution not about using different Java APIs(Y/N)

3)But coming back to 2nd question if you use EJB3.0 than there is difference between EJB 2 and 3 hence there could be some difference, what is your suggestion, shall i write in document which version of EJB i am using to justify my design?

4)Don't take this question otherwise as i have worked in applications which handles transactions without EJB as well so my question:Use of EJB mandatory?

5)I have used RSA as i did component modeling in my last project, but till now i couldn't found feature to generate html o/p (For entire mdl file we had in Raitional Rose which is emx file in RSA in a single html file) as . What do you suggest saving each diagram as individual images in forms of html is good choice but in that case whosoever reviewing assignments has to increase the size of gif page i guess.

6)I am planning to give a document supporting Architecture proposed with Operational Model as well apart from Class Diagram,Sequence Diagram and Component Diagram, is that approach is correct?

7)In class diagram should i define all the methods with proper signature and all or few methods will do?

8)Lets say i have 10 classes, should we have 10 components or more/fewer, i believe this is again Architectural decision.

9)One common question,any suggestion will be appreciated:
Why Sun is asking to give both Class Digram as well as Component Diagram since when you gona draw Sequence Diagram you will show flow of sequence either between classes or component? My assumption Class Diagram only take consideration of Business Domain Objects while Component Diagram may take any physical component (e.g: some 3rd party product).

This is just to start with as i want to think meteculously firstly to properly address the problem than will start with Architecture (like what all components in terms of EJB,App Server) follwed by Operation Model than finaly Class Diagram-->Component Diagram-->Sequence Diagram. Is that right approach?

To let you know you guys i may be the only person who never wrote SCJP,and directly taking SCEA, as i believe Sun's version keep on changing and Architectural thinking is somehow different from Developer thinking (though i have been doing developmet in bit and pieces), but most importantly i worked on many technologies/prodcts and have great intrest in Enterprise Architecture,Design Patterns and SOA.

Help will be highly appreciated.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

I'm also currently working on the SCEA exam. I've read some of the threads in this forum. It's been very helpful (and scary altogether) so far.
Here are few answers to your questions:

1)There is no time limit for SCEA Part-2 Assignment from date of download right (Y/N)
No there isn't - at least not unless the voucher you have to take the exam expires (if you bought a voucher beforehand)

2)What is SCEA 5, i saw many posts in Java Ranch. My assignment doesn't talk about version. The score seat heading of my test report for Part-1 is:
Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for Java2 Platform Enterprise Edition Technology.Is SCEA related to different JAVA/EJB version as well?
I haven't seen mentions of SCEA5 anywhere. I don't expect Sun wants us to use a specific version of their technology so long as it's J2EE. Part I mentioned EJB 1.1 mainly but of course you could use EJB 1.2, 2, or 3 in Part II so long as you justify it. (anyone please confirm)

2)Does SCEA assignment take account Java versions like i Java 1.4, Java 5 now Java 6, i guess no since SCEA is exam about architecting a proposed business solution not about using different Java APIs(Y/N)
This sort of relates to q.2. Again I'd say no, it doesn't. Besides differences between java 1.4-1.6 are fairly technical and woudln't affect your design / use of patterns, would it?

4)Don't take this question otherwise as i have worked in applications which handles transactions without EJB as well so my question:Use of EJB mandatory? Yes I think so... The hard Sun requirement is that it be J2EE. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J2EE. Note that EJBs are a core component of J2EE.

7)In class diagram should i define all the methods with proper signature and all or few methods will do?

From what I read so far, you needn't include any method / attributes but it's best you include the important relevant ones. And it's important you do not include too many so as to keep the diagram as simple and legible as possible.

I didn't take SCJP either. It's probably a handicap in the sense you're less familiar with Java technologies. Then again, if you've been developing in Java, that should help.
I've little J2EE experience and to me Part II sounds daunting. Restrospectively Part I sounds fun.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
some posts in here are about the JEE SCEA 5 Beta, some of the javaranch members are doing this new exam, if you are working on this one you sould use JEE 5, but if you are working on the previous one you most use J2EE 1.4 or 1.3 (I think)
[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: Juan Pablo Crossley ]

David Brossard
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes I noticed the SCEA 5 mention - I'd been looking at older posts from back in the day - sorry.

My SCEA exam - part I - only made mention of EJB 1.1 if I recall well and the course work never mentioned EJB 2 let alone EJB 3. I'm UK-based. Anyone in the same case?

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic