• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What should be the optimum length for the assumptions?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am preparing Part II assignment and am mired into typing all details like assumptions and also explaining all the architecture.
But I think it is getting bigger in size.
Could anyone guide me through this as approximately how many pages the assumptions and related explanations could be?

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Simplify.....

The whole idea of part II is to demonstrate your ability to use graphical UML artifacts to express your design. Your desire to write so much may be an indication that your UML diagrams don't properly explain your solution.

What type of assumptions are you documenting? "This will use something called the Internet. The Internet is a networking of computers." That's not something you need to document.

I like to think of the people marking this to be like the people that might sit on an architecture review board, drilling me about the benefits and drawbacks to my design. I wouldn't write down and document an assumption that would insult their intelligence.

Sometimes, less is more.

Good luck!

-Cameron McKenzie

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Could anyone guide me through this as approximately how many pages the assumptions and related explanations could be?

The assumptions shold not be numbered i pages.

I will give some examples of reasonable assumptions as I understood the term:

• A rich client will, all other things equal, perform better than a web client. Therefore, a Swing application will be developed for use by agents.
  • With the chosen technology, a web client will perform practically as good as a rich client. Therefore, agents and customers can use the same application.

• The two assumptions above leads to two completely different conclusions - the first one will explain why one needs to develop a separate application for the agents to use, the second one explains why this is not neccesary.

In my assignment (score: 88p) I had five assignments along these lines.

All in all, you do NOT need to write a lot of words. I started with a short Summary (ca 50-60 words), five assumptions as above, a short (10-15 words) intro to each section for the various diagrams, and a short list of which technology used for which part of the solution. I had 4 notes inside the class diagram, each containing no more than 10 words. And that was all the writing I did.

Keep it short, simple and to the point.

kapil tejwani
    Greenhorn
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thanks for the support, I get the idea.
    Wish me good luck I am going to submit the assignment very soon.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic