• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Using JEE 5 for part 2 (old SCEA)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

Is it possible to do part 2 of the "old SCEA" using the new technologies in JEE 5, for example JPA?
Or must I stick with older versions of the J2EE specifications? For example using CMP/BMP entity beans?

Is there any rule for this?

Gabriel

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IIRC, the instructions are fairly clear that you're allowed to use any generally released version of JEE/J2EE for the Part II project, so my interpretation is that you probably can use Java EE 5 if you so choose.

Gabriel Belingueres
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The requeriments document certainly does not specify that it can not be JEE 5, but because it probably was written BEFORE the new SCEA exam, I want to be sure before advancing too much in the assignment.

(may be the new forum moderator could know something about this?)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think that you must use J2EE because you must to show your knowledges about EJB 2.1 (CMP, BMP, SFSB, SLSF), Design Patterns(Business Delegate, DAO, Service Locator) that are applied in J2EE. In the first version of exam, questions are diferent and have the focus in requirements.

Gabriel Belingueres
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Andrew:

You said that we must probe knowledge of EJB 2.1, but even the "old SCEA" version is not based on EJB 2.1. From the FAQ page:

"The current exam is based on J2EE 1.2, which includes EJB 1.1"

My point is that now in year 2008, just few people in the planet would dare to base a new system's architecture on J2EE 1.2 or even J2EE 2.1, using for example CMPs or BMPs for object persistence: I would certainly use JEE 5 for new systems.

The only reason I can see to use an old J2EE version is passing this exam. So my question is, specifically:

Does anyone passed the old SCEA exam by architecting the Part 2 assignment in an EJB 3 based architecture?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Gabriel Belingueres:
The only reason I can see to use an old J2EE version is passing this exam. So my question is, specifically:

Does anyone passed the old SCEA exam by architecting the Part 2 assignment in an EJB 3 based architecture?[/QB]

And the answer is: Yes

I did, using JSF, EJB 3.0, and JPA, and I passed with a score of 88%. But I designed the architecture so that I could easily replace one of the technologies without influencing the other - e.g. I could replace JPA with good ol' hard-coded SQLs, or Hibernate, or Entity-beans, without impact on the business logic layer (EJB-layer).
[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: �dne Brunborg ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic