• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to prepare for part 1 ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am not unaware that this question has been asked several times and answered just as many times.
Neither am I unaware that there is no single book for SCEA like the SCJP bible by Kathy and Bert.
However, one can not disagree with the fact that the answers are quite varied across different posts.
Therefore I do not really know what set of bookS/articleS (note the "s") can one read to clear the SCEA exam part 1.
I tried to extract information from the different posts.
There is "Head First Design Patterns" that appears quite frequently in all related posts. However, for other books the reviews are mixed.
May I request people who have already been there, done that to consolidate the information at one place ?
For eg. this post itself.
regards,
Prashant

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Prashant,

I'm currently preparing SCEA and I started with Cameron McKenzie Reccomendations:
http://astore.amazon.com/pulpjavawebsp-20/104-4391239-8666306?_encoding=UTF8&node=4

- HF Design Patterns is a must... I'm not sure I'll read the original book of the GoF (I use it as a reference but I think I won't study it).
- Martin Fowler's UML Distilled is very good. From what I heard, it appears to be sufficient for the UML questions of Part 1.
- Core J2EE Pattern is very useful but I think it contains some deprecated Patterns (pre-EJB3) and an actualization would be greatly appreciated.
- Cade's guide and Paul Allen's guide are both for the old SCEA but I'll study them anyway.

I would add to Cameron's list:
- Core Security Patterns
- O'Reilly EJB3
- a JSF book (no reference for the moment)
- a WS book (no reference too)

Beno�t

tapeshwar sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the information Benoit.
One question : I've used Hibernate but not EJB3.
Also the webservices that I've worked upon is a very vendor specific implemation (Weblogic servicegen and client gen).
Ditto for Security Patterns.
Will I still be able to clear the exams with just Book-ish knowledge of these topics ?
This question is to everyone... spl. the people who have cleared the exam already.
regards,
Prashant

tapeshwar sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok , let me rephrase it.
If I do not have practical experience in a "few" of the SCEA topics, but I study hard and try out the examples given in the books, will I be able to clear the SCEA part 1?
People who have cleared it already ! please comment.
regards,
Prashant

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic