• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

WMA related questions !

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello All,
I am confused on some parts of the WMA Spec. Kindly clarify my questions listed below.

1. From the push registry contract it's clear that, the AMS is not responsible for incoming connections once the MIDlet has started and the AMS starts listening for incoming connections only when the MIDLet is destroyed. Does this mean that, when the MIDlet is in paused state, neither the MIDlet nor the AMS is listening for incoming data ???

2. For use of push registry with WMA - SMS, the connection url has to be a server mode connection (sms://:5876), what will happen if a client mode connection is specified in the Push Registry parameter in case of static push registration and for dynamic registration.

3. For untrusted midlets, we need not specify the permissions explicitly and also the HTTP & HTTPS connections (mandatory) could be granted with explicit user approval. What is the case for WMA related operations like SMS connection open, send, receive as well as other connections like Socket,Datagram etc. Will the MIDlet ask for explicit user permission if used or throw any SecurityException since these are not mandated?

4. In case of GSM SMS, the SMSC ( the short messaging service center) number can be obtained as a system property. Is this number included anywhere in the payload of the sms as i assume that the device first forwards the sms to this number (Store and forward approach) or is it upto the device implementation to take care of it ?
[ June 12, 2006: Message edited by: Reghu Ram T ]

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1. I believe you are correct. AMS can only look for calls for an application when it's not running. Paused would still be running, so.

2. If you're trying to lock it down to a single address, you can put that in the 'allowed sender' parameter. I do not believe it would function properly with a client connection.

3. User approval is required for these functions. Much as, when I was programming apps using JSR-82 (Bluetooth), it asked for permission to use those functions with my untrusted MIDLet.

4. I believe that it's probably from the implementation, reading it from the phone/device itself. (Which would make sense on a cellphone, since it would be provider-specific.) As for if it's included in the SMS, I'd probably guess not, but then again, I don't recall seeing anything about it when I was studying.

Hope this helps.

Reghu Ram Thanumalayan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the clarifications Theodore

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic