• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

EntityManager in Servlets Doubt

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
These are the two code snippets given in EJB 3 in Action on page 448 and page 449:

//--- Do NOT do this!!! This is not recommended!!!
public class ActionBazaarBidControllerServlet extends HttpServlet{
@PersistenceContext(unitName="actionBazaar")
private EntityManager entityManager;
}

and

@PersistenceContext(name="actionBazaar/EntityManager", unitName="actionBazaar")
public class ActionBazaarBidControllerServlet extends HttpServlet{
private EntityManager entityManager;
}

I am not able to understand how these two are different. I know that the Servlet is a multi threaded environment and EntityManager is not thread safe, but how is the 2nd code snippet any different from the first one?

Ranch Hand
Oracle Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In the first example you are injecting the PersistenceContext into your servlet's entityManager instance variable.

In the second one, you are registering into the JNDI ENC a reference to the PersistenceContext under the "actionBazaar/EntityManager" name. That registration is done for your servlet's ENC registry only. Your servlet may now do a JNDI lookup of the PersistenceContext using that name.

The second example is doing a JNDI registration while the first one is injecting the PersistenceContext into a member variable of your servlet.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with Sergio. The second example is lacking the JNDI lookup. There is the same explanation somewhere in another chapter of the book. I don't have the book under hands now, so I can't tell you which page it is. Look for a gray background enclosed note in a former chapter.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Page : 307

nitin pai
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok. I can understand that guys, but now my question is, does doing a JNDI lookup in the second code snippet make the EntityManager thread safe? Doesn't it too have the same disadvantages as a injection has?

Sergio Tridente
Ranch Hand
Oracle Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by nitin pai:
Ok. I can understand that guys, but now my question is, does doing a JNDI lookup in the second code snippet make the EntityManager thread safe?

It does. The lookup is done inside your servlet's service method: once for each thread. That means, each thread will have its own PersistenceContext instance.

In the other hand, when you inject the PersitenceContext into your servlet's member variable you'll end with only one PersistenceContext instance for all the threads your servlet's service method runs on. It is in that kind of scenarios that race conditions may arise.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sergio Tridente wrote:

Originally posted by nitin pai:
It does. The lookup is done inside your servlet's service method: once for each thread. That means, each thread will have its own PersistenceContext instance.

Personally, I hope it's sure. But I can't prove it myself. Could you provide detailed description from EJB, Jpa or any specification?
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic