• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Natalie/Sybex book VS. Martys's two Books

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Natalie book Java Web developers certification Guide
Marty Hall's twobooks(Core servlets & Java server pages
More servlets & Java server pages .
-----------------------------------------
I read a readers review at amazon.com about Marty's (More servlets) book and reader said that is the book all you need to pass the exam. Elated by the comment on the book, I Went to the shop and the shop has only Core servlets book of Martys. Brought it Read it. Of course core servlets doesnot have any chapters on application deployment and web.xml.
I felt it is not enough. Later I brought Moreservlets book. First 3 chapters are repetitions (in brief of Corebook).
4th chpter is on Webapplication deployment and 5th chapter on managing webapps through web.xml file.
Read the both chapters and got something vague (not enough for the exam). 7th/8th chapters deal in depth about programmatic and declarative secruity. And you donot need that depth for SCWCD exam. Therefore I felt I was stuck.
I got Natalie book and book is fousssed and I am confident about answering question regarding depolyment architecture and web.xml elements now.
I should have never got that confidence with Marty's book even if I have read few times. With Martys book, you have lots to do to figure it out what is need to be culled for the exam. After good foundation from Natalies book, Now I feel I may be profited from Marty's Moreservlets book.
KEEP IN MIND YOURG OALS YOUR EXPERTISE IN THE SUBJECT:
Marty's two books are good for the developers. They have excellent code support, good guidelines in taomcat installations etc. It is undoubtedly a great book. They serve totally different needs and requirements. I want read them thorughly after passing the SCWCD exam.

I felt that what I need is Natalie book. If you just read this book only you will be better off in tackling the exam.
Nataliebook, Yes there are mistakes. I did not like the mistakes either. Remeber the book was written hastily for the SCWCD market. It was the first book for SCWCD cert preparation (Mannings came 30 days later). If you are a SCWCD stuff, definetely you should be able to spot them(otherwise you will not be writing the test yet).
I feel that it/Natalie book was worth of my money. Each chapter has excellent questions(15 question in each chapter) and natalie did good job in those questions. I definetely recommend this book.
It gives you focus and that is what to read for the exam. You donot want be spending months in reading 6 books and not targeted , right?
Marty's book serves totally a different purpose. Just reading Marty's book I should have not picked up much for the exam, frankley speaking.
That is my openion, anyway. I donot think the book was waste.
SO make your own judgement based on your needs and goals when you plan to buy a book. If you have been a JSP/Servlet programmer for 1 to 2 yrs that is a different story.
TAKE HOME MESSAGE:
just donot go by others comments on any book. I donot say that other's comments are wrong, but what I am trying to say is put them in the context of commentators expertise, skills etc.
Natalie book may not be great in one's openion, but for the begenner and aspirants of SCWCD , I definetely recommend it.
Meanwhile I ordered Manning's book too. I will write my detailed comments later.
IF you need to buy only on or two books buy cert guides like Natalie and HAnmanth(Manning) first .
Hope this helps the novices and newbies.
J. Reddi

straws are for suckers. tiny ads are for attractive people.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic