• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Mock Exam question.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If no parameter is supplied what is the output of:
<%String s=request.getParameter("param");
out.println(s);%>
You answered: A

A NullpointerException occurs
B Page compiles but there is no output
C ServletException occurs
D null is printed on screen
D is correct null is printed and the page compiles fine.
I check it and the ans is D. But I was wondering why don't I get a nullpointer exception.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Rohit
A NullPointerException is when you try to access a variable that does not refer to an existing object.
In the case here though you're not refering to any objects you are simply calling a method on the request object that returns a value. In this case the request object exists it is the parameter that doesn't exist. Now, if the request object did not exist you'd get the NullPointerException.
hope that helps

Chicken Farmer ()
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The method returns null, which basically gives you:
String s = null ;
As in any Java code, if you try to print a String that contains a null reference, the output is "null" (minus the "'s of course).
Now why did they make getParameter return a null value instead of throwing a NullPointerException? The specification doesn't appear to make mention of why null is returned (that I can find at least), but I assume it is to put the responsibility on the developer for handling at runtime what happens if the attribute doesn't exist.
Throwing an exception involves introducing new references and all that when it isn't really practical or necessary to do so. Why create a whole new exception object for you to handle when you can just return a null and let the developer deal with it as they will? Takes less resources from a container standpoint.
If you really want to know what's happening behind the curtain, find the container's implementation of HttpServletRequest and look at getParameter(), see how they're handling things.

jason adam
Chicken Farmer ()
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Or what Dave said, which makes a whole heck of a lot more sense, in a lot fewer words...

Being a smart alec beats the alternative. This tiny ad knows what I'm talking about:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic