• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

J2EE

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm thinking of giving this certifiaction a go. Despite the title includeing J2EE in the title having lokked through Sun's list of requirements I can't see any reference to what I consider to be J2EE (basically EJBs) - is this right ?
If EJBs aren't covered then what part of J2EE is covered, or is including J2EE in the title of the certification misleading?
I've just doubled checked the title and it does say "SUN CERTIFIED WEB COMPONENT DEVELOPER FOR JAVA 2 PLATFORM, ENTERPRISE EDITION (J2EE[tm]) "

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
J2EE is comprised of a number of different technologies including JSP, Servlets, EJB, JCA, JMX, JMS, JNDI, RMI-IIOP, JTA, JAX-RPC, and the list continues... see the J2EE spec for the complete list.
As you can see, only one of these technologies is EJB. It is a common misunderstanding that J2EE == EJB. This is just not true.
The SCWCD exam tests knowledge of Servlets and JSP, the two primary "Web Components" of J2EE.

Mikey Warren
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK - thanks, I did have a feeling that there was some confusion about what actually comprises J2EE.
I will have a look at the spec. to help clarify things for me.
Whilst EJBs isn't all that J2EE is, I think that from Suns J2EE tutorial , and books based on J2EE (like SAM's J2EE in 21 days) it does seem to me to be an essential part, but perhaps I should read the spec. before digging a bigger hole for myself.

Mikey Warren
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just to let you know that I've had a quick scan of the J2EE spec. - and you're right.
I'm still a bit confused though - Servlets and JSPs are part of J2EE - but am I right in thinking that a web application that just uses JSPs and Servlets, and an application server like, say Tomcat, (and not a J2EE server like Websphere) is not a J2EE application?
Having written the question down I think perhaps the answer is that it can be said to be a J2EE app.,although Tomcat doesn't implement EJB Containers - ?
In the end I suppose it doesn't matter what the exact definition of J2EE application is, as long as we know what each other is talking about.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mikey Warren:
and an application server like, say Tomcat, (and not a J2EE server like Websphere) is not a J2EE application?

Mikey,
Tomcat is not exactly an Application Server. Tomcat is a container for JSP and servlets.
An application server, in the common terminology, is much more than that. An application server contains servlet , jsp containers apart from EJB containers, small scale JNDI services and the list goes on.
Also an application server takes care of things like transactions, security issues, resource pooling and stuff like that
Some examples of Application servers are
IBM Websphere, BEA Weblogic, JBoss, Orion, Resin....and the list goes on
Hope this helps
Sri

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic