• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCWCD books: Deshmukh, Malavia versus Jepp, Dalton

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Has anyone dug into both of these books? I'm hoping to find an in-depth opinion of which is better, or to find out if they have differing points of view.
I've just cracked the cover of the Jepp, Dalton book ("Professional SCWCD Certification" - Wrox Publishing) and am considering buying the Deshmukh, Malavia book ("SCWCD Exam Study Kit: Java Web Component Developer Certification"). Is this worthwhile? How would you compare the two?
There is no review of the latter yet available in the Bunkhouse.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually I think the latter is mentioned all the time here as one of the best books to read. Do you really mean the latter, i.e. the DeshMukh book?

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ken,
There was a review for "SCWCD Exam Study Kit: Java Web Component Developer Certification" by Deshmukh in the Bunkhouse, but none found for "Professional SCWCD Certification" by Jepp.
I'm hoping to get in-depth feedback on both to see if it's worthwhile to buy the Deshmukh book as well. I've got the Jepp book, so it's good to hear it is highly regarded by other SCWCD Ranchers.

Ken Januski
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
https://coderanch.com/t/166033/java-Web-Component-SCWCD/certification/New-SCWCD-Study-Guide-Author
Erick, I seemed to recall reading some good reviews of the Jepp book here and found one thread from one of the authors in above link. If you just search forum for "Jepp" you'll find a number of them.
When I have time I'll need to go read them myself! Since I'm still slowly working my way through the Deshmukh book. But work's gotten in the way of study recently.
Ken

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ken,
How are you liking the Deshmukh book thusfar? Have you read Jepp? How would you compare the two.
Thanks for the link. I'm looking forward to working through the SCWCD. Will learn a lot. Have done servlets and JSPs only by way of Struts.
My SCJD assignment had to be put on ice from 7/02 til 2/03 because of busy times at work (no compliants! )

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good rating was given to Deshmukh book, and I found it is really good for exam point of view.

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks, Venkateswara! I went ahead and ordered it last night from Amazon. Can't hurt to have another perspective, in addition to the one offered by Dalton and Jepp.

Ken Januski
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Erick,
I think you'll be happy with your decison. I've just started rereading the Deshmukh book and am happy with it. I think I had a bit of a hard time the first time I started it because I was used to reading books that were a little denser and more theoretical, like the Programmers Guide to Java Certification. This book is a little lighter but after starting it again I realize that it does cover the material just fine. I've only heard praise about it here.
As for the Wrox book I guess you can let us know how it is, or give the rest of us a comparison.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think better comparison can be provided by the one who has gone through both the books. Since I am using Jepp/Dalton , I consider it very specific and to the point, no details no less. The book merely contains 400 pages with two extra chapters (One for case study and other for filters). I think this book will still do good in the market.
FYI, if you have read Specification documents "thoroughly" then no book is actually required for the exam. I am taking help from specs documents as well. Howerver the language used in specs is not too good, because they are addressing not only the developers but also the container providers.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi.
FYI: www.amazon.ca has some reviews.
GLo

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to add that there is a third book.... Exam Cram2 for the SCWCD by Que publishers. Author is Alan Trottier.
It is not an expensive book about $21. on Amazon but save your $20. The treatment is too thin on many topics but particularly on Tag libraries...The sample test provided on CD enclosed has poorly or maybe just hastily written questions...hard to comprehend what is being asked... Advocates just memorization not particularly samples of code or syntax checking questions. A lot of fill in the blank questions on the sample cd test(only one).
I am also using the Exam Study Kit by Deshmukh. I like it, it covers everything you need to know and the sample tests are good. Also included a cd with 3 sample tests on it. They are good thoughtful questions and more reasonable from what I know of these certification tests.
Another two cents!
Noel

Anonymous
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the heads-up, Noel. I've got the Wrox book and am waiting for the Deshmukh book. Sounds like there's little need to explore the Que offering.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic