• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Test Tips?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
This sounds like a great forum.
As far as testing, I believe that testing does not measure a persons true ability as a programmer. In the old days, all we needed to do is turn in a working program to an instructor. But, we must change with the time and we must overcome our weakneses.
I just passed the SCJP. I could use some tips on improving my scores and study habits that work in building the knowledge and expertise for a higher test scores. Testing for me has always been tough!
Even with a Master's I am overly weak in testing. I have 20 years in the legacy systems and still I am not an expert tester.
I am preparing for the SCWCD and that has me worried already. From lessons learned, I am using index cards for summaries and memorizations. I think, I need to take more practice tests to improve my testing skills.
The first time around, I only took one test and that was an open book.
I can use anyone's test tips for a better score...
Best Regards...George

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch, George...
I hope u will find this forum is helpful and may u be successful in SCWCD preparation....

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch, George!
I fully agree with you when you say "that testing does not measure a persons true ability as a programmer". However, it can still give you a hint about it.
Testing is the closest way of gettin' your hand on a true result. But a "true result" would only be achieved if one go through a real situation - and it can't be done on a real world, unfortunately.
Testing our habilities is also a good way of getting feedback on what you're good at - and what should be improved.
Different employees have different ways of understanding a certificate value. And it is good to know that they want qualified people, and that they are also looking for a way of estimating that quality.
The style of using cards is really good and helpful. Mock questions are still one of the best ways to learn both the content and the style of the questions - and that is quite important also.

Again, welcome to the ranch!

See ya,
Gus

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic