• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Books for the SCWCD 1.4 ??

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi every one !
I want to prepare for the SCWCD and would like to know which good books you advice me, specially that on the market the books that exist for this certification are focus on the SCWCD 1.3, no book yet for the new version SCWCD 1.4, and I�m planning to pass the new version of the exam, so which good book I should to study on it ?
Thank you in advance for any answer and advice
Rania +

Cowgirl and Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Right now, there is no book available for that exam. Three of the developers of the new exam (myself, Bert Bates, and Bryan Basham) are working on the 1.4 exam book now, but it will not be ready until May.
For now, besides the specs, there is PRO JSP (APress, I think), Marty Hall's new edition of Core Servlets, and there's a book with a picture of a yard gnome on the front (Servlets and JavaServerP Pages by Jayson Falkner and Kevin Jones) I think are pretty good
The older SCWCD book by Deshmukh and Malavia is an excellent book as well, even though it is not up to date for this exam. But I still recommend it. It no longer matches the new exam objectives all that well, and it's mock questions are VERY well matched to the older exam, but do not reflect the nature of a lot of the new exam questions (there's more code, and less knowledge memorization on the upcoming exam than in the older/current version of the exam). Still, it's a great book and if you can get your hands on it, I recommend it in addition to the specs and probably one other book that covers the new stuff.
None of these books covers everything you need for the exam, though, so you really must have the specs as well. Unlike EJB, and perhaps the J2ME stuff, I do not personally believe that the specs are enough for this exam. Although with enough experimentation you *could* figure everything out, but unless you are already expert in these technologies, I recommend both a book or two AND the specs.
cheers and good luck...
-Kathy

rania ferrag
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Kathy Sierra,
First of all it�s an honor that I received an answer from you, thank you so mush for all the information about the books and your advice
Actually your first book for the first certification is so good, and I was certified on 23 rd December, now I decide to start studying for the SCWCD 1.4 , the only problem is time, my Job, working on other project and my priority is now to get this second certification, I want to spent a few time that I have and focus only on objectives that we will have on the upcoming exam.
so hope that I�ll found the book that you advice me and I�ll wait your book with the new version of the exam when it�s will be available on the market, hope it�s came soon
Thank you so much again
rania +

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
is the new exam out? when can i write the exam?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Binoj,
The new exam is not out yet, probably it might take some time, say around April - May.
Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If I buy a voucher now for the exam and sit it before April, will the exam I sit be the older one?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by James Clinton:
If I buy a voucher now for the exam and sit it before April, will the exam I sit be the older one?

If it is released officially at that time, u will be able to register for the new one and sit for it... If it is not, then the exam you'll register will be the old one...

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic