• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCWCD current version - books - confused - advice plzzzzz

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Everyone-
I just finished my SCJP today and want to start on my SCWCD ASAP. I tried looking around this post, but really could not find anything clear enough. want to start on my SCWCD and heard that Kathy's "Head first SCWCD" has come out. given that the previous book (for the SCJP) was so good both for the exam and for learning stuff, i'm really all excited about the SCWCD book. now for whatever-version SCWCD (1.4??), is Kathy's book enough?? i mean to start with??. I'm at complete ease with K&B's style of writing and explanation. for the version that is coming up, what all books do i have to go through, (would be great if Headfirst is first in the list) and usually it's quite quiet when i post, but i know the Ranch is not that quiet either ... can anyone please reply???

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Shahfazal,
It depends on which version you wanna take.
If you want to take SCWCD 1.3, based on JSP 1.2 and Servlets 2.3 specification, I recommend the book SCWCD Exam Study Kit, by Mr Hanumant.
It is a cool book for SCWCD 1.3.
If you want to take SCWCD 1.4, based on JSP 2.0 and Servlets 2.4 specification, there is NO book published for this exam. Kathy and Bert's Head First JSP and Servlets (formly known as Head First SCWCD) is the book that going to be released for this exam, but it may not be available till May 2004. In addition, Mr. Hanumant said that he is now working on the 2nd edition of SCWCD Exam Study Kit also.
I hope this info helps you.
Nick.

Shahfazal Mohammed
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks for the info. well, that created coupla more questions . the SCWCD 1.3 you mention, is that a beta exam?? in fact, pardon my ignorance, what is a beta exam?? do i have to tke any other exam to upgrade my certification?? and also i will have to wait for my result if i take the beta right?? if i take the SCWCD 1.3 will i have to tke another exam to upgrade it?? and the SCWCD 1.4 that's coming up, i guess that's a direct (non-beta) version eh?? i dont think i can afford to wait till the new version .. or reading material for the new version, may04 is too late. I can prepare for whenever the exam be, what do you suggest?? go ahead with the beta. and your signature says SCWCD 1.4 beta (waiting) does that mean ican give the 1.4 beta too?? woudl be really grateful if you could post back some replies

Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Shahfazal,

SCWCD 1.3 you mention, is that a beta exam??

NO. SCWCD 1.3 is an offically released exam.

what is a beta exam??

A beta exam is an exam that is NOT offically released. That is, you cannot register it from Prometric for this test. The test is normally consist more questions that the real test.
For example, SCWCD 1.3 contains 59 questions, while SCWCD 1.4 beta exam contains 163 questions.
The beta exam aims to provide to experienced people who are familiar with those technologies (in SCWCD 1.4 case, is JSP 2.0 and Servlets 2.4), so that based on the exam results of the beta, SUN can determine the passing rate of the exam, and see whether there are unclear questions, or they may even need to rewrite some of the questions, or add, or remove some questions as well.

do i have to tke any other exam to upgrade my certification??

SUN may provide upgrade exam, like 310-036 Upgrade exam for SCJP 1.2 prior version to upgrade to SCJP 1.4. Whether update or not is solely depends on your own.

and also i will have to wait for my result if i take the beta right??

YES. After the beta period ends, we need to wait 4-6 weeks to obtain the result, whether we have passed or not. In case we passed, we will get the offical certification kit.

if i take the SCWCD 1.3 will i have to tke another exam to upgrade it??

Not necessary, of course, you can take the upgrade exam later.

and the SCWCD 1.4 that's coming up, i guess that's a direct (non-beta) version eh??

I cannot provide you the exact release time. But I guess the offical release will be around April or May.

i dont think i can afford to wait till the new version .. or reading material for the new version, may04 is too late. I can prepare for whenever the exam be, what do you suggest??

If you are ready for SCWCD 1.3, then just go for it. As lots of new features have been added to SCWCD 1.4, like JSTL, EL, Tag Files, etc. But if you are interested in them, or you know them well already, you can consider SCWCD 1.4 when it is released offically.

your signature says SCWCD 1.4 beta (waiting) does that mean ican give the 1.4 beta too??

Sorry, you cannot give the SCWCD 1,4 beta because the beta exam period is passed already. SCWCD 1.4 beta held between 12 Jan, 2004 to 8 Feb, 2004.
Nick.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks.

Would you like to try a free sample? Today we are featuring tiny ads:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic