• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Should I take SCWCD 1.3 or 1.4 ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am confused on the version of the test to take. Please dont mind my number of questions. When I am putting a lot of time and effort, I want to do it correctly. So please help me with your knowledge.
Is SCWCD 1.3 still available? For how long is it expected to stay (a rough estimation)? Is it outdated? I dont want to do an outdated certification. What's the official/unofficially official book that I should prepare for this?
Is SCWCD 1.4 actual exam (not beta) ready from prometric? Since when is it available in the market. What book should I prepare for that?
Thanks in advance,
Phani

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Phanindra,
If you havent invested a lot of studying time yet in SCWCD 1.3 then you should probably wait for the 1.4 release. Currently SCWCD 1.3 is available, but not 1.4. Do SCJD for fun while waiting for 1.4 to go public
SCWCD 1.3 will probably stay available even after 1.4 is released. As I know people who took SCJP 1.2 like 3 months ago!!!
As for a 1.3 book, 'SCWCD Exam Study Kit' (Hanumant Deshmukh) is really good. I only studied this book and read the specs. Got 96%.
I think Head First SCWCD will cover 1.4 when its out.
Nart

Phanindra Nayani
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Nart. Your score is very impressive, you might have prepared really hard to get such a score. I have a few followup questions.
From you reply it looks like there shouldnt be much I will lose by doing SCWCD 1.3 in 1 month timeframe , bcos 1.4 is not yet released. Actually I am in a kind of rush. That's why I did SCBCD just now hoping that SCWCD 1.4 will be available by the time I complete SCBCD. But since I am running out of time (related to my job), I think I will do SCWCD 1.3 in a month. what do you suggest me regarding my urgency?
I have 'SCWCD Exam Study Kit' with me. There is only 1 editions of this I think and 2nd version is not yet released I think. Can I go ahead by preparing this book? Do I have to read anything else like JSP & Servlet specification from Sun? Please advice me.
Thanks again.
[ February 29, 2004: Message edited by: Phanindra Nayani ]
[ February 29, 2004: Message edited by: Phanindra Nayani ]

Nart
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Phanindra,
For SCWCD 1.3, SCWCD Exam Study Kit is perfectly adequate. I read the specs just to be sure, or to clarify a point that might not be so clear in the book.
As for taking 1.3 or waiting... not really sure. If its urgent as you say or if its needed for your job, then by all means take it. When 1.4 is out there will probably be an upgrade exam. If your tight on budget, you can wait for 1.4, if its not a requirement that you get 1.3 real soon.
Nart
[ March 01, 2004: Message edited by: Nart Seine ]

Phanindra Nayani
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thankyou Nart !!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think that you should study for SCWCD 1.3 if you are working at a place that uses a J2EE 1.3 compliant server. Even if you are job hunting, it is probably better to go for the 1.3 cert because most companies are probably using a J2EE 1.3 server.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with Andy. The difference between 1.3 and 1.4 probably isn't that important right now, and may not be for some time (if ever). FWIW, when I list my SCWCD on my resume, I don't even put the version. It just says "Sun Certified Web Component Developer" under my "Professional Certifications" section.. to the degree that the certification matters in job hunting, I think just having it period is more important in terms of getting in the door, than having a certain version. Especially since most companies probably aren't even using the newer specs yet.
Unless the company you're with now is requiring this AND requiring a certain version, I don't see any good reason to not just go ahead with the 1.3, and then later take the 1.4 if you feel the need.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I'm in the same situation. For some reason, the price of the exam is now very low (95 euros compared to the standard 140), so I suppose it's done to compensate for the update exam later.
I'll buy 'SCWCD Exam Study Kit' (thanks Nart)
Anyway, I HATE to buy an outdated book and preparing an outdated exam
- Juan
[ March 09, 2004: Message edited by: Juan Med�n ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear all,
Just to cheer you up and to reply to Phanindra, i must say that the exams are never outdated. Even the old ones share lots of base knowledge with the new ones. I guess, the difference between the new SCWCD 1.4 and 1.3 will not be more that 10-20%... The diffefrence between SCJP 1.4 and 1.2 was not more than 15%!
Therefore, i would advice you - Phanindra - to go ahead with your preparation for SCWCD 1.3. If the next release comes, it will be a piece of cake for you .
Huan, studying for SCWCD 1.3 will give you a lot of confidence in your education. The technologies which you can see nowadays are based on up to J2EE 1.3 specs. So, take the (excellent) 'SCWCD Exam Study Kit' book and go for it.
Have a nice day !
~Nasko

Phanindra Nayani
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A really appreciate you guys for advicing me all the way !!!
Thanks,
Phani

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic