• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Another Simple Tag & Classic Tag handler mock exam question - what's YOUR answer?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

here I have another very nice one .

Given a JSP page:

The tag handler for my:tag1 is Tag1Handler and extends TagSupport. The tag handler for my:tag2 is Tag2Handler and extends SimpleTagSupport. The tag handler for my:tag3 is Tag3Handler and extends TagSupport.

Which is true? (Choose all that apply.)

A.
Tag3Handler CANNOT access the instance of Tag1Handler because Simple tags do NOT support access to the tag parent.

B.
Only Classic tags are considered in composing parent/child tag hierarchy; therefore, Tag3Handler may use the getParent method only once to gain access to the instance of Tag1Handler.

C.
Tag3Handler may use the getParent method twice to gain access to the instance of Tag1Handler.

D.
Only BodyTag handlers can access the parent/child tag hierarchy; therefore, Tag3Handler CANNOT gain access to the instance of Tag1Handler.

Any answer with an explanation is welcome but please with your own explanation and please don't give away the information where I took this question from .

Regards,
Darya
[ September 10, 2005: Message edited by: Darya Akbari ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suppose C is right answer.
I think both Simple and classic tags have method getParent or findAncestorWithClass

Darya Akbari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi David,

thanks for your response. To my opinion Answer C is impossible because the parent of tag3 must be of type Tag. The parent of tag3 is tag2 which is of type JspTag.

Look how Tag and JspTag are related:

We can say now the following:

• Tag IS A JspTag
  • JspTag IS A JspTag
  • JspTag IS NOT A Tag

• Do you agree :roll:

Regards,
    Darya

David Ulicny
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Why must be parent of tag3 of type Tag? If Tag is a JspTag?

Darya Akbari
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Hi David,

tag3 is a Classic Tag (implementing the Tag interface) and it's getParent method returns a Tag object.

The parent of tag3 is tag2 isn't it ? Hence tag2 should be of the same type (Tag) but it is not. tag2 is a Simple Tag and of type JspTag

That does not fit together .

Regards,
    Darya

David Ulicny
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    What is the right answer?

Darya Akbari
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I would say that there is no right answer

Regards,
    Darya

Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Darya,
    C is the right answer. If you read the chapter carefully, it says that even classic tags can have simple parents. When you call getParent() on the classic tag, it would return a Tag type, which I agree cannot refer to a SimpleTagSupport class. But you can do a work-around for this using the TagAdapter class. So, C is right. (Tag Adapter is discussed in a footnote in the chapter). But I think we will not get such questions in the exam as TagAdapter is not covered

Darya Akbari
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Hi B Sathish,

which chapter are you talking about . Did I say where I took my thoughts from .

Nevertheless, I believe you are talking about page 540 from the HFSJ book and you are right that my thoughts are based on exactly the description there.

But let's share the information given there for others who don't have that book:

from HFSJ p. 540

Simple tags can have Classic parents

This is not a problem, because a SimpleTag's getParent() returns type JspTag, and Classic tags and Simple tags now share the JspTag super interface. Actually, Classic tags can have Simple parents, but it takes a slight hack to make that work because you can't cast a SimpleTag to the Tag return value of the Tag interface getParent(). We won't go into how to access a Simple tag parent from a Classic child tag*, but all you need to know for the exam is that by using getParent(), a Classic tag can access Classic tag parents, and a Simple tag can access either a Classic or Simple parent.

*If you are really curious, look at the TagAdapter class in the J2EE 1.4 API

Look to the bold text. That speaks clear against Answer C . I don't know how the trick with TagAdapter works but with getParent() it does not work.

Regards,
    Darya

Darya Akbari
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Look what HFSJ's errata list says :

from Head First Servlets and JSP errata list p. 550:

[550] question 3;
    Option C is invalid.
    Unfortunately, that leaves us with a mock question that doesn't have a valid answer.

Regards,
    Darya

B.Sathish
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I have seen the errata, but I doubt whether it is right. I thought we could use TagAdapter to do something to the return type of getParent() and somehow get a reference to the simple tag handler
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic