• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

after SCWCD and future

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I haven't passed this exam yet. I'm trying to project myself.

Q2:
Does the time, cost, theory and knowledge that I gain this exam will be applicable to other products (such as WebSphere or WebLogic)? because they have their own setting and J2EE implementation.

Q1:
After passing this exam, I would like to get into the real world scenario. Is there any book/tutorial that show how to build complete, well designed web application? should I learn Struts or other open-source frameworks?

thanks all

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anthony,

No child is born without a father.This exam will not give you salary hike,wil not make you feel that you are on top of the world but will make you realise the root and give you a solid foundation.After that you can build upon yourself.

Anthony Karta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks anyway, I'm not talking about money/good job here, just want to make sure this Sun exam is a worth investment.
anyone has another view?
thanks again

hangman
Angular Framework Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This might help. Please see Top 5 Reasons to Get Certified from Sun

I am so glad I am going to take this exam. I am learning so much. It opens so many doors for me to learn other technologies, with the confidence that I understand the basics of Web Apps first.

pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Q2: Websphere and WebLogic (as well as any other implementation) has to abide by the J2EE spec. They aren't as "different" as you think.

Q1: Start looking for that real world now. The experience is tremendously important. There is no reason to wait for SCWCD first. If there's some reason you can't (like being a student), then do what you can to get your hands dirty with regular J2EE material. Learning something like Struts before you've done regular J2EE in my opinion is dangerous and would be extremely difficult.
[ February 15, 2007: Message edited by: Marc Peabody ]

Anthony Karta
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Marc Peabody:
Q2: Websphere and WebLogic (as well as any other implementation) has to abide by the J2EE spec. They aren't as "different" as you think.

Q1: Start looking for that real world now. The experience is tremendously important. There is no reason to wait for SCWCD first. If there's some reason you can't (like being a student), then do what you can to get your hands dirty with regular J2EE material. Learning something like Struts before you've done regular J2EE in my opinion is dangerous and would be extremely difficult.

[ February 15, 2007: Message edited by: Marc Peabody ]

Thanks to Bob and Marc for enlightening answers.

I'm working now but not always get a web project as I wish, and I would like to learn how to build application correctly from the start such as use cookies or not, setup connection pooling etc. could you refer me the resources (books/tutorial/etc)?

thanks in advance

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'll throw in a less experienced view on the topic. I'm working on my SCWCD right now because it will help me on my current job. I am a junior member of a J2EE web development team.

On the previous phase (after my SCJP) I worked on the model classes. I have several years of Java experience before I got my SCJP but I found that I learned many things about how Java really works that helped me a great deal.

Now I'm working on the UI layer of our app, using Struts. I have found the same as before - Struts is much easier to understand because of the things I have learned in my studies for SCWCD.

For example, I can look at all those Struts tags and know what the compiled JSP servlet class will look like. I can look at all the interaction of the ActionServlet and ActionForm and understand how all that communication is being implemented under the covers. And I know how much work would be required to do all that traffic cop work if Struts wasn't doing it.

So in summary, I highly recommend studying for the SCWCD prior to learning Struts or another framework. Walk before you run.

Marc Peabody
pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Perfectly said, Ryan. I whole-heartedly agree.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic