• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Apress Book on SCWCD with JEE 5

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Here is the link to the yet to be published book

http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10314

The reason people are so persistently asking if there will be a JEE 5 version of the SCWCD is that it is common for official sources to deny anything is in the works and then announce a new exam.

Microsoft tends to announce way ahead of time that a new exam will be released but Sun is usually tight lipped about it.

Does anyone know if a new version of SCWCD for JEE 5 is in the works???

arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"It it is common for official sources to deny anything is in the works and then announce a new exam."

No it is not. I have been following the Sun exams since 1998 and each time a new exam is due on the horizon they announce a beta test many, many months before the arrival of the real exam.
[ March 20, 2007: Message edited by: Marcus Green ]

Dibbo Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
But I have heard conflicting information from different people at SUN. At the London Tech Days last week a representative from SUN Training told me that SCJP 6 would be released in two months, I asked him if he meant the beta and he said he wasn't sure.

Marcus Green
arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"I asked him if he meant the beta and he said he wasn't sure."

You are quoting an un-named person who you didn't seem to get any contact details from who doesn't seem to know much about the subject he is commenting on and he is suggesting something that appears to go against ten years of policy from Sun.

On second thoughts, the golden rule around here is "be nice" and that was a bit abrupt of me. It's good to ask these questions and the arrival of a new version of the exam is an important topic that is very much worth discussing.
[ March 21, 2007: Message edited by: Marcus Green ]

Dibbo Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The person's name is David Cooke, and he works for SUN Training in the UK.

I haven't heard anything else to backup what he says.

Let me explain why this is a sensetive issue and there have been so many queries about JEE 5 exams.

These exams do take alot of preparation, and if you know they are going to come out, then you can choose to wait and prepare for those instead of exhausting yourself preparing for older versions of the exam or for alternative certifications altogether.

-This is the choice for me,

I have finished all my .NET 2.0 certification, if there aren't going to be any new Java EE 5 exams besides the SCBCD 5.0, then I might consider doing the MCITP Database Administrator cert for SQL Server 2005.

But if any other JEE 5 exams or an SCJP 6.0 comes out, then my choice is clear. I will be too tired to do both and won't feel like studying for the JEE5 exams after I am exhausted by studying for other things.

- WHY AM IS SUSPICOUS OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT TIMINGS???

SUN charges an awful lot for its exams, more than Microsoft, Oracle, IBM and so forth, it in in Sun's interest that people prepare for and pay for older versions of the exams before it releases new versions. That is the rationale underlying my assertions that they are not always forthcoming with information about new certifcations in the works.

- Furthermore there has NEVER BEEN AN UNAMBIGUOUS AND CLEAR ANNOUNCEMENT FROM SUN THAT THERE WILL BE NO JEE 5 UPDATE FOR SCWCD AND SCDJWS, only that they would be a ways off if they ever materialized, this is what the FAQ's say.

- AN UNAMBIGOUS ANNOUNCEMENT THAT NO UPDATE WILL BE RELEASED would put an end to these rumours.

In the absence of that the queries will continue.

Marcus Green
arch rival
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"These exams do take alot of preparation, and if you know they are going to come out, then you can choose to wait and prepare for those instead of exhausting yourself preparing for older versions of the exam or for alternative certifications altogether."

I am very familiar with the amount of work required as I have spent a large part of a year writing a book aimed at the 1.4 version of the SCWCD exam. For this reason I keep a very, very close lookout for any solid information on a new version, as I would want to know as much as possible as soon as possible in order to update my writing.

The reality is that any new version would be more for marketing than practical reasons because the underlying technologies in this area have changed very very little. But any change is important and I would want to know anything about such a change.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic