• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Homework Corral?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Any chance of a Java homework forum?
Reason 1. Those who do not wish to help with students' homework can ignore it.
Reason 2. Keeps other Java corrals uncluttered.
Reason 3. Those with nothing better to do can assist
(notice I said assist) these poor guys. Innerlektul challenge and all that...
-Barry

"The Hood"
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, that is sort of what the Beginners forum is for . . .

Barry Gaunt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Cindy, I don't quite agree with that
Beginners' Java Questions are not always homework.
Some are dead serious stuff (like mine).
I mean <<<*** Homework ***>>> questions, really clearly, obvious homework like: "write a program to count 5 beans using a multithreaded approach".
-Barry

Cindy Glass
"The Hood"
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
< Sigh > I know what you mean. But this too will pass. Once we get past that first assignment of the semester things usually settle down.
Until then, perhaps you should consider granting yourself a promotion to Intermediate .

Barry Gaunt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not objecting to the homework questions, I really like trying to give some guidance when I can.
I just would like to find them in a clearly defined place. Ok like Java Beginner then...
-Barry

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think that the Ranch has done a good job of letting people know that the Ranch is not here to do homework assignments for people. However, the Ranch is also really good about aiding these people who are truly struggling and trying.
I am afraid that if you added a Homework forum, people would then expect more than the Ranch is willing to give and that would create restlessness in the stables.

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Barry Gaunt:
...I mean <<<*** Homework ***>>> questions, really clearly, obvious homework like: "write a program to count 5 beans using a multithreaded approach".
-Barry

Why do Professors and Teaches submit students to these horrible truly lab only applications? Have we still not progressed to real world examples in our educational system?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:

Why do Professors and Teaches submit students to these horrible truly lab only applications? Have we still not progressed to real world examples in our educational system?

well with vendors only sending demos of j2ee stuff to colleges instead of real operational servers like JBoss, what can you expect? J2EE coding on demo servers is nto real world examples..use the real thing..okay off my rant now..

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The problem is (and I speak from experience) that it is hard to give a real life Java example when you are only up to page 150 in the text book. You have to strip things down so much that there isn't much you can give that looks like real life.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Another thing I realized recently about homework assignments is that, in a lot of cases, they are configured so that they can be easily graded too. This goes for things like specifying variable and method names, to actually telling students how to structure their code.
The instructor isn't neccesarily teaching the students how to solve 'real world' problems so much as they are teaching them how to write code in that language that will compile. They are showing them the tip of the iceberg and leaving the rest of it for more advanced classes where there will, most likely, be fewer students and the teacher can give more personalized instruction.
As far as it goes, most of the homework questions I see are of one of two things:
class path and environment issues, or
the student waited until the last minute now doesn't know where to start so they post an 'URGENT' post with the entire assignment in it followed by - 'how would you do this?'

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic