• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Sun ePractice Exam for the SCJA

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Due to the lack of resources I be grudgingly signed up for the Sun ePractice Certification Exam for the SCJA. I will let you all know if it worth the money. Surely I am not the only one out there which is finding it difficult to know exactly what to study.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I bought the Sun exams for the same reason. I find them reasonably useful for determining scope and depth of the exam. I'll know next Tuesday...

Bob Law
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
With the lack of material currently on the market for the SCJA I think the practice exam from Sun is a must. It is not that the topic is difficult but trying to determine the depth needed for each objective is a little confusing. I am taking the test next weekend. Really I should take it sooner but I am too lazy to do it during on a weekday.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So, what's the verdict? Is it worth every cent you paid?

Bob Law
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes I would say it is. Sure it costs about a third of the cost to take the exam itself. For that you get 3 practice tests. There is so little out there actually about this exam that I think it is important in order to really understand the test. Several the questions on the actually exam when I took it were almost identical to ones in the practice tests. Also because since the SCJA skims the surface on such a wide range of topics it is hard to know just how intestely you need to study. Passing the exam should not be that difficult for anyone with training computer programming and who knows the basics of java, but if you want to be sure to pass it and/or get a score in the 90s I think the practice exams from Sun is a must.

Remeber objectives 1-4 make up the vast majority of the exam. So know your design concepts and programming fundementals.

Oh I can't have all postives on something that would not be right. Rarely are things ever totally wonderful so I need to add in where I thought the practice exams lacked. There could have been more questions. Sure there was about 153 questions but that is not enough. Since the questions are rather evenly distributed over the objectives you get a good understanding of the depth for those objectives but not for the intensity of the programming fundamentals on the exam. I think there should be more practice exam and they should me closer to the real thing.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Bob,

After each the ePractice exam, other than your score, does it tell you which questions you missed? Also, does it offer explanation on all questions, both those you missed and those you answered correctly? Were the explanations okay?

Bob Law
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes you can review the questions after the exams. The explanations really aren't that details. Just a sentence for is choice and why is was right or wrong. So you will get an explanation as to why but not much more than exactly why is was wrong. As opposed to a huge run down on the topic. That is another area where the exams are lacking. But like I said I think the practice exams are well worth it for understanding the level of depth needed for the real test.

Chengwei Lee
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Honk if you love justice! And honk twice for tiny ads!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic