• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

General question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Im a graduate student taking JAVA and would like to continue with it AND...would like having taken it to have some cache on my resume. Would going after the SCJA cert accomplish that and how would I prep for it? ARe there good books anybody would recommend?

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Indeed, any certificaiton looks good on a resume. It shows initiative and self-motivation. People that get certifications typically do it on their own, with a large degree of self-study, along with the responsibility of scheduling their own learning timeline and exam date. That's quite a bit different from typical learning environments, and it demonstrates a great degree of gumption.

The SCJA is the new entry level certificaiton from Sun. It doesn't require the same degree of syntax knowlege of SCJP, so you don't have to be a master of the GridBagLayout to pass with a good score. However, the SCJA exam tests you on a wider array of subjects than any other Java exam. No other exam tests you on EJBs, JNDI, syntax, Servlets, JSPs and RMI, all at the same time. The certification demonstrates a very well rounded knowledge of Java, and Java related technologies, which makes it a great certification for people who will not only program, but will look to manage Java projects, or business IT infrastructures.

As for good resources? Well, please check out my signature links. I've written two Sun Java Certification Study Guides for SCJA, one which takes you through all the objectives, and the other which just nails you with one question after another until you've been tested into submission. Together, the two guides have helped hundreds of people get SCJA certified.

Also, the Java SCJA faq has plenty of links as well to Java mock exams and to both free and pay-for-use SCJA exam simulators.

Happy Java!

-Cameron McKenzie
[ February 26, 2007: Message edited by: Cameron W. McKenzie ]

RJ Cavender
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow, this place amazes me with how nice and helpful people are. Thank you. I think im a ways away from even considering it, but its something im very intersted in.

Cameron Wallace McKenzie
author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Take some of the free mock certification exams at the various free exam sites, including mine. They might give you a bit of an understanding of what types of things you need to know for the Sun Certified Java Associate exam. It might give you a better idea of your rediness.

-Cameron McKenzie
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic