• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is this the proxy pattern?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is this the proxy pattern?
I have a interface called DataIntf which has all of the public methods of the Data class. This interface is extended by my RemoteDataIntf interface, which also extends Remote. My remote implementation implements this interface. The subclass of Data implements this interface as well. On the client I use a factory that contains one method getConnection which returns an implementation of the DataInt interface. It will either return the remote implementation or the local, which is the subclass of the Data class. The client will make calls to this implementation. Is this considered the proxy pattern or do I have to have another class that is client specific and contains an instance of the subclass of Data and delegates all of the calls to the instance?
Replies are greatly appreciated!
Rama Ituarte

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Rama,
Sounds like a proxy to me. According to Design Patterns, the Proxy pattern consists of a Subject which defines an interface (in your case DataIntf), a Proxy which implements that interface (your implementation of the DataInt interface) and a RealSubject which also implements the interface (this would be Data). So I would say you could safely call it a Proxy pattern.
Hope this helps,
Michael Morris

Rama Ituarte
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you very much Michael! I really appreciate your time.
Have a good day.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic