• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Beta Test; To Clear Some Points

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All Beta Testers and Ranchers,
I just thaught to clarify some points.
(1) We don't need to submit any README.TXT file. Rather version.txt, userguide.txt/html, javadoc, developer documentation and choices.txt are needed. But if I give README.TXT in addition to these, there will be no problem.
(2) We need to ensure the program is platform independent i.e. it'll run without any change in Windows, Solaris, Linux or Mac O/S ?
(3) A few of us did not get db.db file, especially those who downloaded the file last week. They are required to craete the file themselves and put at least 20 records.
(4) We are not permitted to add any new field in the db.db file .
(5) We don't have to write the names of the design patterns as comments when coding, as it's not possible to identify them all. But my instructions.html says: Design decisions must be described briefly but clearly in your comment.
(6) JDK 1.4 should not be used or must not be used? I'll use jdk1.3.1_02.

Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

(1) We don't need to submit any README.TXT file. Rather version.txt, userguide.txt/html, javadoc, developer documentation and choices.txt are needed. But if I give README.TXT in addition to these, there will be no problem.

I don't think you'll get penalized for doing so as long as you don't put anything that would be more appropriate in one of the required documents.

(2) We need to ensure the program is platform independent i.e. it'll run without any change in Windows, Solaris, Linux or Mac O/S ?

Yes. As long as you only use standard J2SE classes, you should be fine.

(3) A few of us did not get db.db file, especially those who downloaded the file last week. They are required to craete the file themselves and put at least 20 records.

I'm pretty sure nobody taking the beta got a data file. My requirements do not specify a required name for the data file, only the format. Naming the file db.db is fine though.

(4) We are not permitted to add any new field in the db.db file .

No, you are not permitted to change the format of the data file.

(5) We don't have to write the names of the design patterns as comments when coding, as it's not possible to identify them all. But my instructions.html says: Design decisions must be described briefly but clearly in your comment.

Design decisions are not necessarily all about design patterns. Many experienced programmers write code that follows design patterns without even knowing it. Just explain briefly but clearly why you did what you did and give some alternative approaches and reasons for not choosing them. Concentrate on the major decisions like RMI vs. Sockets+Object Serialization

(6) JDK 1.4 should not be used or must not be used? I'll use jdk1.3.1_02.

My requirements say that your submission must have been tested and shown to work under a production (not development) version of the Sun Microsystems' Java 2 platform and that platform must not have been superceded by a new production version for more than 18 months by the time you make your submission. This would include J2SE 1.4, which is after all what the beta is for. I suppose you could use 1.3.1 since it hasn't been superceded by 1.4 for more than 18 months. Or has it...?
[ October 02, 2002: Message edited by: Junilu Lacar ]

Ashik Uzzaman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Lacar, especially for Point#3.

town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I spoke with Eveylyn about this, and jdk 1.4 is certainly good to use.
M, author
The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 1.4

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Max,
Iam using JDK1.3.1 is that ok.
-rameshkumar

Max Habibi
town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm sure it is Ramash: but I suggest 1.4 for a couple of reasons(even if you don't buy my book ).
1. It's easier. Generally speaking, languages get easier to use as they evolve. Compare Assembly and Java. There are new concepts to learn, yes. But they are not difficult concepts: they are actually rather easy, IMO. However, you have to be comfortable with change.
2. You need to get familiar with jdk 1.4: otherwise, you'll have a larger learning curve in 10-12 months when 1.5 is scheduled to be released.
3. It was the intention of the test.
4. A challenging, yet unthreatening, project like the SCJD is an ideal place to learn about JDK 1.4's capacities. Remember, you goal, once you land that great job, is to be really, really good at it.
All best,
M, author
The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 1.4

Ashik Uzzaman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A few more queries to be added....

(7) What is Advisory Locking?
(8) Does Mandatory Read Locking means any one can read an already locked record but can't modify or delete that?
[9] What is magic cookie? Is that somehow related to Sceurity code?
[10] What should be the difference between key and criteria in our project? Like my find method's signature is
[an inner class of db] findByKey(String key, boolean lock);
long findByCriteria(String []data);
[11] Do anyone needed to give facility to add a new record by the user? This is because we did not get any db file from SUN and given a createRecord() in DBAccess interface.

Ashik Uzzaman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, I came to the conclusion of my queries as follows.
(7) Advisory locking is what we know in databse terminology as Optimistic Locking.
(8) Yes. And just to add, mandatory read locking is what we know in databse terminology as Pesimistic Locking.
(9) Magic cookie is a value (in my case 4 byte numeric) that identies a data file as valid. In our project we only need to ensure that we have numeric 4 bytes at the start of our db.db file through our data conversion tool or what I say File Parser, no more checking is needed. And magic cookie is no how related to our security code.
(10) key is something through which we can search a record for exact match to provide what I say Strict Search Mechanism. My key is subcontractor name. Criteria is to provide what I say Flexible Search Mechanism for partial or exact matching of any field.
(11) We are not needed to add or modify the db.db file's data from our program anyhow. We just need to read data for search and lock mechanism. Methods like createRecord() or updateRecord() in file parser will be NOP methods provided only for future enhancement.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: Ashik uzzaman ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
(11) We are not needed to add or modify the db.db file's data from our program anyhow. We just need to read data for search and lock mechanism.

Hello,
in my assignment, there is clearly stated that the
program must allow the user/CSR to reserve a room. IMHO, booking involves updating the record. (At least, in my db schema, you have to change the field 'owner'.
Good luck.
Michael

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am using 1.4 because if you look at the test the changes compared to the current assignment shows that it looks to use the benefits of the new IO and Regular Expressions. Plus some other new enhancements that you won't have in 1.3.
I also believe this makes Max's book a great book for this exam, and I would recommend his book over the RHE book for the new assignment.
Mark

Ashik Uzzaman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Michael, I was thinking that, but still thought to have an opine. I have preapred a full-fledged read/write capable file parser that can write in a ny location of the file. Though I found I only have to write in two parts, the owner id that is an 8 bit number and to mark at the start of a record, whether it's valid of deleted record. Itw' working well.
But I am yet to test whether to put null in that owner's ID means putting 0x0 in all the bits of that field!
Mark, time was the only problem, otherwise I would have used nio, new collection additions in jdk1.4...thanks anyway.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic