• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

requirement clarification

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The last paragraph in "Overall Architecture" of the requirement specification says:

The remote client code that you write must provide all the public methods of the suncertify.db.Data class.

Can someone kindly explain what exactly does this mean?
Thanks!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I understood it as follows:
The RemoteData object should implement the suncertify.db.Data Interface - similar to the LocalData object which implements the suncertify.db.Data interface. (I have the same interface in client.jar and server.jar)
(I have modified the Data interface to "extends Remote" and also have appended "throws RemoteException" in all the methods. I did this to enable me to cast the RemoteData object to the Data interface - in the client, in network mode. Hope this is ok!)
Dayanand.

Cathy Young
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dayanand Kangala:
The RemoteData object should implement the suncertify.db.Data Interface - similar to the LocalData object which implements the suncertify.db.Data interface. (I have the same interface in client.jar and server.jar)

Do we have to have both RemoteData and LocalData? If so, these two classes will be very similar.

Dayanand Kangala
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Cathy Young:

Do we have to have both RemoteData and LocalData? If so, these two classes will be very similar.

In my implementation, both classes implement DBMain interface (this the interface which was present in the intructions.html) and both have the same method definitions.
The only difference is that my RemoteData extends UnicastRemoteObject to enable the client to receive the RemoteData's stub.
Dayanand.

Cathy Young
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dayanand Kangala:

In my implementation, both classes implement DBMain interface (this the interface which was present in the intructions.html) and both have the same method definitions.
The only difference is that my RemoteData extends UnicastRemoteObject to enable the client to receive the RemoteData's stub.
Dayanand.

Thanks, Dayanand. This is exactly what I thought about having two Data classes. But my concern is: do we really want to duplicate (almost) the implementation? Will we be penalized for this or this is exactly expected for this assignment?
Thanks!
Cathy

Cathy Young
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Can someone kindly, explicitly confirm that we need to Data classes, say LocalData and RemoteData, and both implements the Data interface. They are pretty much the same except that the methods in RemoteData throws RemoteException and have lock () and unlock () implemented.
Thanks!
Cathy

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Can someone kindly, explicitly confirm that we need to Data classes, say LocalData and RemoteData, and both implements the Data interface. They are pretty much the same except that the methods in RemoteData throws RemoteException and have lock () and unlock () implemented.

I did not have two Data classes. I had one. It implemented an interface that had all the Data methods. This same interface was used in a DAO that returned Value Objects.

Cathy Young
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jim Bedenbaugh:

This same interface was used in a DAO that returned Value Objects.

What is "DAO"?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
'DAO' is a Data Access Object. They are used to encapsulate all access to data sources. They are described in Alur, Crupi and Malks: Core J2EE Patterns.

town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Thanks!
Cathy

Hi Cathy,
This would be my suggestion, yes.
All best,
M, author
The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 1.4

Cathy Young
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks, guys!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic