• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Solaris Testing Required?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there,
Do I need to test my project in Solaris before I submit it to Sun? I'm asking this because the OS platform that I am using is Windows 2000 Professional and I don't have any access to a Solaris box or even a Linux box. Do I really need to test this in Solaris before I submit it to Sun to make sure it will work? What will happen if I don't?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Two-and-a-half years ago, I developed my assignment under Win98. Before submitting, I tested under Windows NT and found that I had some rather horrible repaint issues that made the application unusable. These were due both to subtle differences between the behaviour of the JVM on different platforms, and to bugs in the Swing toolkit at the time.
So the answer is: according to the WORA (Write Once Run Anywhere) philosophy, you should be fine. However, practice can be more like WODE (Write Once Debug Everywhere). You're best off testing on as many platforms as you can, since you don't know what OS the assessor is going to use. But if you can't, you can't, and have to take the (small) risk.
- Peter

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would just test under all the platforms to which you have easy access, and document this fact in your README.txt under where you list your primary development platform. I have seen people mention that the assesors try to use a setup similar to your development environment to run your assignment, but I have no idea if this is true. Another idea would be to post a hyperlink to your client.jar file and see if any of the folks here with access to different platforms would run a brief sanity check and makesure everything seems OK. However, I'm not sure that Sun would consider that acceptable, so be careful.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic