• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Problem with registry.lookup()

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Try to test on 2 boxes, right now is on single machine.
On server:

On client:

I know my computer's name by using "ping localhost". And I ran this application using
It only works if I omit -D options, otherwise it won't. Any suggestions are very appreciated.
Kevin

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

registry.rebind("//localhost/Factory", factory);

You need to understand that the first parameter to Registry.rebind() is not a URL. Instead, it is just a simple String that maps to your object in the registry. For example:

The confusion comes from the fact that Sun's java doc for Registry.rebind() was wrong up to 1.4.0.
Once you accept this fact, everything else will fall into place.
Eugene.
[ March 26, 2003: Message edited by: Eugene Kononov ]

Kevin Cao
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Eugene,
Thanks so much for your response. I used to using Naming.rebind() and Naming.lookup(), which uses URL-formatted name. So if I want to test on 2 boxes, I have to use Naming instead of Registry. Otherwise the hostname will always be passed as String, and it is not bound that way.
The only way to use Registry is pass hostname whenever starts the server(binding), and pass the same hostname when starts client, so they will have the same "STRING" name. Do I understand it correctly.
Kevin

John Smith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

So if I want to test on 2 boxes, I have to use Naming instead of Registry. Otherwise the hostname will always be passed as String, and it is not bound that way.

I am not sure what you mean. I also tested on two different machines, and it worked fine. The server binds to Registry, and the client looks up the remote object using Naming. No problem.

The only way to use Registry is pass hostname whenever starts the server(binding)

No, you don't need to pass hostname, -- the server already knows its hostname, and you don't need to specify it when binding an object to registry. Try it exactly as in the code that I posted above, -- it will work.
Eugene.

Kevin Cao
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Eugene,
After your previous post. I checked javadoc, the java.rmi.Registry.rebind/lookup takes String, and java.rmi.Naming.rebind/lookup takes URL-formatted name, exactly like you said. So I changed to java.rmi.Naming and tested on 2 machines, it works fine.
Again, thanks for your help.
Kevin
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic