• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

About the server design .

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In my assignment , I design the server as a manage console using shell like many other server software (apache). In it , you can type "start" to start the server, "shutdown" to shutdown the server and so on . But after you run the command to running the server program , you will be noticed to start the server . If ignoring such starting action , the server won't answer the client's request . Does this design disobey the instruction ?

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, it does appear to be different than what is requested. If you look at the instructions.html, it states that you write the starting procedure in the readme.txt file, and that it uses the java command to start the server and client.
So by having a "start" or "shutdown" sound to me like a bat file or shell script that you created to aid in starting and shutting down the server, which is not asked for in the assignment instructions.
To start the server, it should be as easy as
java -jar server.jar
with maybe the starting of RMIRegistry, if not started in code.
Good Luck
Mark

Zhou Can
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Mark :
I think you have misapprehended my meaning . As you know Oracle Database , which have a svrmgrl . After using command "svrmgrl" , you get into the server manage console , and you can "startup" or "shutdown" it . In my design , "java -jar server.jar" is just like the command "svrmgrl" and lead you begin to manage the server . "start" or "shutdown" is just like the "startup" or "shutdown" command . These command is input in the server mange console and not like the bat files which used in OS .
[ March 30, 2003: Message edited by: Zhou Can ]

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I understand now. Unfortunately I can't guess how the assessor will take it. In some aspects I think it is cool, in others it adds some responsibility to the person who starts the server.
This is a different approach, and one that I don't know of any history of assessor's response to it.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Mark

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic