• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

NX: how to you defend the use of UTF-8, the default encoding ??

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
1)how to you defend the use of UTF-8, the default encoding compare to other encoding system like US-ASCII in fixing the deprecated methods? please provide me a pointer

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think your question answers itself.
I don't think it even needs a mention, let alone justification.
I didn't mention it at all in my submission and didn't lose any marks because of it, put it that way.

Kruger Scheitz
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
serious u din even explain?? i thought i need to explain at least with a line...=) dont know how to explain still though...=)

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Kruger,
I can (and will) explain why I used UTF-8, but I wonder if such an explanation is any good - you must have had a reason for choosing UTF-8, so what was your reason?
I decided that there was a choice between the platform's default character set (rejected: who knows where this app will run), US-ASCII, or UTF-8.
My end decision was based on what the original programmer had coded: specifically he forced the hi byte to zero. Only one of those two options gave me the same functionality (I think - it has been a long time since I looked at that area).
Regards, Andrew

Damian Ryan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I did the FBN assignment and the reason I chose UTF-8 as my encoding when I rewrote the deprecated code was that was the encoding in the existing database file.
I know there have been different versions of the FBN assignment, but I got one where I was already given the database in binary format - I didn't have to write a data converter class like some people did. I gather most (if not all) of the new format assignments do require you to write your own data converter to produce a binary format file.
Anyhow, the binary file I got was in UTF-8, so it was a no-brainer to set my encoding to UTF-8 when replacing the deprecated code. That's why I said I didn't even mention it or try to justify my "choice".
I assume that if you talking about fixing deprecated code you are doing some version of FBN too (I think you only get interfaces for the new exam, no implementation) so you are probably in the same position I was.
Andrew - do you ever sleep? You always seem to manage to be first out of the blocks with a reply to all the questions!

Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Damian

Andrew - do you ever sleep? You always seem to manage to be first out of the blocks with a reply to all the questions!

I am actually trying to stop that. I need to let other people have a chance to answer sometimes too.
Regards, Andrew

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Damian,
I don't have a FBN assignment so I didn't have to deal with this UTF-8 issue and cannot be here of any help.
But this called me :

I cannot answer the question, but I noticed that when I am stuck or simply worried by any issue, Andrew is - with a metronome-regularity - statistically the first guy who "unsticks" or reassures me. So, if you are, thank you Andrew to be an insomniac there in Sidney !
Cheers,
Phil.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic