• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm ready to embark on the Developers exam.
I've got the book by Mehran Habibi and co. and 'skimmed' through it.
Whats the best approach now, should I go ahead and register for
the exam, download it and use the book as a reference/guide or should
I study the book for a month then try downloading and beginning the sun project.
My target is to pass by October 1st 2003 (approx 2 months, annual appraisal date).
so time is critical but i am willing to put in 2-3 hours daily, and more on the weekends.
p.s . i love coding hate reading.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Avaya, you can sign up for the assignment at any time. There is no time limit to completing the assignment. So you can chose which way you want to go. You could sign up now, start to work on it, and if you get stuck and think reading Max's book would be a good idea at that time then do it, or if you are going along fine you can use Max's book as a good reference.
Plus posting here all your questions will also be a big help.
Good Luck and we are here to help.
Mark

avaya deeps
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
cheers mark,
if i get a result by October 2003 then java ranch will definately get a donation from my bonus for passing SCJD.
I've decided to go for it and register for the exam, as they say doing is learning, i've flicked through Habibi's book but just can't concentrate my mind on it fully, i'm going to go through the NIO chapter and GUI chapter, the RMI chapter is drop dead boring thats an area i think i will struggle with.
I think i need the scenario of "this is what you need to do (sun project) and heres one we did earlier (habibi book)".
You'll be hearing a lot more from me in the next 2 months.

town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"drop dead boring?!"! You better be careful, Terry wrote that chapter, and he used to wrestle in high school.

My advice is to turn your computer off, get a notepad, and sketch out a basic UI on paper. Get a sense of what you actually need to do. Now sketch out a simple architecture(like we have at the yop of each chapter). This will invoke your curiosity, and get you interested in the topic. Then, sit down and write a simple UI. Stop. Sit down and write a simple File access layer. Stop. Sit down and write a simple RMI program...well, you get the picture. Remember, you're doing this for yourself, so it's worthwhile to play a jedi mind trick on yourself and make yourself interested.
Good luck,
M

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also check out the FAQ link that is on the top of the forums page. It has a link to Sun's tutorial for RMI, it is a quick and simple tutuorial that will help you out a lot.
Don't worry about Max, his bite is much worse than his bark. Oh wait did I get that backwards. Must have been a Freudian slip.
Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
even Sun's tutorial is boring too, infact reading is actually quite boring.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic