• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

NX: Bodgitt and Scarper

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
As I went through this page, I assume you all are way ahead in your project. I am just the beginner. I just got my assignment few days ago and thought of starting off with GUI Design. I hope every one has started from here. If not, please let me know guys and guide me.
One more thing I wanted t kno is, The assignment came with Data File. I wanted to see how the Data File looks like..But I dont know how to open that, I mean...in which aplication...Please help me on that
Thanks
Karthik
SCJP, SCWCD

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Karthik,

I just got my assignment few days ago and thought of starting off with GUI Design. I hope every one has started from here. If not, please let me know guys and guide me.

It looks like most people start with the db part, go on with the network one and finish with the GUI part. It's the easiest path IMO.

One more thing I wanted t kno is, The assignment came with Data File. I wanted to see how the Data File looks like..But I dont know how to open that, I mean...in which aplication...Please help me on that

You'll open the file with the application you have to write yourself for that purpose. A good first start would be to search on this forum with keywords like "magic cookie", "RandomAccessFile", "DataInputStream", ... You'll get a lot of information helping you to start with the db part.
Best,
Phil.

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Philippe,

It looks like most people start with the db part, go on with the network one and finish with the GUI part.

I must be strange then I started with the db, then did the GUI, and finally came back to the network.
Regards, Andrew

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want to closely examine the data file, you can open it in any hex editor. I used "Textpad", and opened it using the "open as binary" option. But really the file is of a completely made up format, and so only YOUR application will be able to open it satisfactorily.
By the way, be very sure to put away a safe copy of that file, as you must submit your finished application with an intact and unmodified data file.
As the previous answers have said, you can build the project in any order. For the record, I started with the database, followed by the networking (which I am still stuck on!!!), and the GUI will be last. But any way will do as long as the application meets the requirements at the end!
Good luck!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Andrew,
You wrote:

I must be strange then I started with the db, then did the GUI, and finally came back to the network.

This is the path I took as well and am glad that I did. The database piece is the most involved since data access logic needs to be worked out. Next, the locking strategy needs to be thought through.
As Andrew is recommending, I then worked on getting the application working end-to-end (rough-cut) without worrying about the network. It was easy to debug since I was more-or-less working in the standalone mode, i.e., no networking!
Once, it started to work. It was easy to plug-in the network piece. You have to be careful though and make sure that you use Adapters/Mediators/Brokers/Facades whatever you want to call them. The key strategy in all of them: 1. Introduce one layer of indirection. 2. Localize and isolate your change points.
In the end, it is somewhat related to our backgrounds and how we think.
Regards.
Bharat

Karthik Balasubramanian
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you very much Guys...As you suggested I gave a search for DB creation, got lot of useful info. Thanks a lot.
Karthik

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic