• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCWCD vs SCJD

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ranchers,
I just finished SCJP exam and would like to pursue for the next examination. I am in dielama to pursue either for SCWCD or SCJD. Could anybody throw more light on the advantage of SCWCD over SCJD?
Thankx in advance.
Reddy

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Reddy,
You may know already what I am about to tell you, but since you asked
Like you, I finished my SCJP exam and then was trying to decide which one should I do next, SCWCD or SCJD? It boiled down to my choosing to do SCWCD before SCJD because of my background and experience. I work for a commercial bank in Boston area and am a member of a group charged with maintaining and extending a rather large and complex three-tier internet application. The web-tier of this application could have been better designed and implemented. Well, before I crazy with it, I thought it might be a good idea to see what Sun tries to preach about the basics of Servlets and JSPs. In my other employment(s) before the current one, I had to deal with Servlet and JSP code quite a bit, therefore it was just more applicable to my current work. Again, I must admit that it was significantly easier for me because of 1. my background and experience and 2. It IS easier! The book that JavaRanch recommends; written by Hanumant DeshMukh and Jinesh Malavia is one of the best that I have ever read, and I read quite a few. This will turn out to be an enjoyable and easier experience.
On the other hand, SCJD has turned out to be quite a bit more work, more uncertainity, but quite a bit more enjoyable. I had not paid much attention to JSDK since most of my work involved J2EE. I took J2SE more or less for granted. Beginning with JSDK 1.4.xxx., Sun has made significant advances in adding a lot of core functionality in the Standard edition itself. We need to know that well even if our work primarily involves J2EE since J2SE is common base being used by all the J2EE servers! Another benifit is that you will learn threading, locking, RMI/Sockets (OK, we are a bit light on RMI), and GUI first-hand! This can add significant value to your arsenal of skills.
Therefore, in my opinion, it boils down to your background and experience, and how far to you want to go with it. My advice is to do BOTH! Which comes first? Should be YOUR decision.
Hope this helps.
Regards.
Bharat

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Reddy,
I'll probably make laughing a lot of people here, but I had to face the same dilemma. Not which one to choose, but which one to choose first, and how to deal with my primary choice in the middle.
I do think that SCJD is far more challenging than SCWCD, and probably more valuable. I've heard that SCWCD exam is easier to pass than SCJP. If it's true, SCJD and SCWCD cannot be compared : while the first needs a few months investment (IMO), the second just (would) need(s) a few weeks. So the biggest advantage I see to start with SCJD is that you keep the wimp exam at hand to take a break in the middle of SCJD. Better, when you feel need a break, you may even just claim you need it, keep going on with SCJD, saving your SCWCD exam just in case you need another break.
Best,
Phil.
PS: Andrew, if you decide to move this thread to the SCWCD forum, please edit my post before doing. Thanks. Just in case one of those weaklings knows where is my home.
[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: Philippe Maquet ]

Reddy Yeluru
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thankx Bharat for your valuable and detailed suggestions. Yes I do feel that I should prefer SCWCD over SCJD, as I am working in I2EE environment and would like to learn more details in that area.
Thankx again.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Bharat and Philippe for the nice explanation. I am not a SCJP yet but preparing for it, just came by this group to see what these exams are about. I am a graduate student and I already have experience with servlets and JSPs, but after reading your mails I realized certifications force you to learn things the right way.
All the best to all of you
Lalitha

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Reddy,
I agree with the comments above - you should try and get all the developer certifications, as it will make you are more rounded developer.
In case it was not obvious in the above posts, the SCJD is a project based certification. You have to write code for client and server applications based on (badly written) specifications provided by Sun. You have to hand the assignment in to Sun and then wait for someone to grade it. Some people have waited over six weeks to hear whether they passed or not.
SCJP, SCWCD, and SCBCD are all theory based, where you turn up to your local testing site, do a multiple choice exam, and get told instantly whether you passed or not.
So if you want to have something quickly that you can show your loved ones / employers (rarely the same thing ) then you might want to look at SCWCD or SCBCD. Likewise if you enjoy pure theory exams rather than practical then the SCWCD or SCBCD are more your style.
On the other hand, if your goal is to get all three (SCWCD, SCBCD, and SCJD) in the shortest total elapsed time, then you might want to start with SCJD, as you can then continue with the other two while you wait for your results from SCJD. Likewise if you want a break from the theory and want to get your hands dirty in a real certification, then do the SCJD first.
The book Bharat mentioned (SCWCD Exam Study Kit by Hanumant Deshmukh, Jignesh Malavia, Jacquelyn Carter) is the best one I know of for SCWCD. I am keeping my copy of it around, even though I don't do much web development work, just because it is such a good book.
The best book I know of for SCJD is The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 1.4 by Mehran (Max) Habibi, et al. Max is a regular contributor in this forum, and until very recently was one of the bartenders in this forum.
And for SCBCD I would recommend Head First Ejb: Passing the Sun Certified Business Component Developer Exam by Kathy Sierra, Bert Bates. It's not quite out yet (any week now), but I think you can't go wrong with a book written by the exam's authors
(Phil - I am not touching your comments. We have Max on our side if any of those SCWCD weaklings start getting rowdy )
Regards, Andrew

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm doing SCWCD while I wait for my SCJD result, I submitted it because it was driving me loopy. I agree with Phil that SCJD can take a few months if you're not an experienced Java developer.
You may get a bit down hearted during the SCJD but you learn alot.
Tony

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I also agree that which certification to pursue depends on where your career is, and where you want to go with it.
My goal is to use Java (along with C and assembly) in embedded systems. I have the 1.4 SCJP, so next up for me is the SCJD. Unless I somehow end up in an enterprise/Web environment, I don't see the other certs as being applicable. For embedded, at least I'll have proof that I can build a networked application to Sun's standards.
Good luck with all your certs, no matter which you decide to pursue first!

Sunglasses. AKA Coolness prosthetic. This tiny ad doesn't need shades:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic