• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

FBN :Exception Handling

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In my RemoteDataImpl, all methods throw RemoteException.
I am not able to convince myself about exception handling in this class.
for example. i have a three ways to implement exception handling in modify
method, but i do'nt know which one is appropriate. May be, because i do not have much experience.

Comment : How would calling method's user know, whether problem is in DB layer or in RMI layer. For calling method, its ok, it needs to handle this in same way, whether it DatabaseException or RemoteException; inform user about problem and log the stacktrace or whatever. ? IMO, this is not appropriate, because user will get same message, since calling method can not find out directly through exception type real cause, it would display same message(for ex. e.getMessage()) for Remote or Database exception.

Comment : This method solves problem which first method has, but it catches
RemoteException, and again create new RemoteException object(performance will go down), just for for adding the message, and wrapping it.

Comment : Calling method can add its message or get the message from thrown object, and display appropriate message for the user, in addition to logging cause. However, problem with this, since calling method has same form of error handling for the exception types except displaying about the problem whether it was database problem or network problem, why should i throw two different exception types.
Which one of these , i should use in my code ?
Regards,
Akash
[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Jim Yingst ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Akash,
Its better if you use the third solution. Generally, the design decisions you take while developing a method should not be directed by the method's usage.
What the calling method does with your exceptions is specific to it. You need to throw different exceptions unless you are planning to abstract all exceptions in an application exception (But, this might not apply here)
I thought of giving a more convoluted answer. But later figured this one is just as convoluted
Dushy

Dushy Inguva
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OUCH !!! Whats with the formatting in this thread ???

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The code blocks included the comments which were really long, with no line breaks. Inside code blocks, the browser won't insert line breaks for you, so that meant that the whole line was really, really, wide, which distorted everythign else on the page. I edited the post to take the comments outside the code blocks.

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree, use the third one. You don't need to throw any RemoteExceptions from your code - RMI will do that for you, if & when it's necessary (e.g. if the network connection fails). You need to catch the RemoteExcetpions in whatever code uses these classes, but you don't need to throw them.
Incidentally, the implementation doesn't ever need to say "throws RemoteException". However the remote interface needs to declare thee exceptions, and the generated stub class will throw these eceptions. But the server-side implementation will never, ever throw a RemoteException itselt. That's done by the RMI networking code, which is hidden from us.

Akash Singh
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot Jim and Dushy. I really appreciate for your response.
Regards,
Akash

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic