• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

New to SCJD

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Dear all,
I will take SCJD exam and I want to ask some question for my preparation.
Howmany days I can download the assignments from Sun after I buy the voucher?
What version should I use for J2SE 1.4, J2SE 1.4.1 or J2SE 1.4.2?
I have book "The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 1.4" by Mehran Habib, are there another books or documents I have to read?
thanks
daniel

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Daniel:

Howmany days I can download the assignments from Sun after I buy the voucher?

Not sure whether you are asking when you will be able to download, or how long they will allow you to download for.
Usually it takes the USA 1 business day between when you purchase the voucher and when you can do the download. But this weekend was their Thanksgiving weekend (a 1 day holiday that seems to last a minimum of 4 days and a maximum of 9 days :roll: ), so you may have to wait until the middle of the week before you can do your download - just keep trying it until you get it. From memory if you try and download and get an access denied, you are told the address to write to in order to get access granted: you may want to send them an email to make sure you don't get missed.
Once you have been given access to download the file, you may download it as many times as you like. You may continue to download it until you notify Prometric that you wish to upload your completed assignment: at that time your ability to download will be switched off, and your ability to upload will be switched on.
Note: I recommend you make a good backup of your first download - do not rely on the ability to do multiple downloads as your backup. At one point people found that if they downloaded the file a second time they got a completely different assignment. You really don't want to be 99% of the way through an assignment and then have to start again!

What version should I use for J2SE 1.4, J2SE 1.4.1 or J2SE 1.4.2?

When you download the assignment, you will find an instruction similar to: "You may develop your code using any implementation of the Java 2 platform, but the submission that you return must have been tested and shown to work under a production (not development) version of the Sun Microsystems' Java 2 platform and that platform must not have been superseded by a new production version for more than 18 months by the time you make your submission."
According to those instructions, any 1.4.x version should be OK. Version 1.3.x should no longer be used by anyone doing the new assignments.
You just have to make sure that you complete your assignment before version 1.5 has been out 18 months

I have book "The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 1.4" by Mehran Habib, are there another books or documents I have to read?

Max's (Mehran) book is great, and hopefully he will be back as a bartender really soon.
I recommend you work with Max's book, and then if you are unsure of anything, just ask here at that time. Then people will be able to recommend books or online tutorials specific to your question.
Good luck.
Regards, Andrew

Fisher Daniel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Andrew for your informations....
Actually I have not bought the voucher yet, maybe in the middle of December.
And I will use this forum to share anything about SCJD.
best regards...
daniel
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic