• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

final questions.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I hope to finally submit my exam in the next day or two, but have some final questions.
1. When you run the final javadoc on your code base, should you keep all the javadoc generated files in your submission (ie help-doc.html, allclasses-noframe.html,package-list etc.)
2. My suncertify.properties uses the java Properties API to save the start-up settings i.e

This will only save the last settings for one connection type (server/local/client), as the file is overwritten each time.
Example 1.
start server server settings saved
start alone no alone setting, use defaults, overwrite server setting
start server again has to use defaults since alone start overwrites original server settings, but overwrites alone settings again.
Example 2.
start server server settings saved
start server server settings used and overwrite
start server server settings used and overwrite
Is this method contary to the requiremants...
"All configuration must be done via a GUI, and must be persistent between runs of the program. Such configuration information must be stored in a file called suncertify.properties which must be located in the current working directory." it does not specify cross connection type settings saving ?
3. Testing on Solaris, I do not have access to a sloaris/linux box, only my win2000 box which I develop on. I have installed Cygwin (unix emulator) and tested on that on my win2000 box.
But the Cygwin testing still uses the underlying win2000 OS, so I am not too confident about the solaris side of testing.
I do not have a dual boot machine to install solaris on.
Any ideas??? I was going to just explain this in the choices.txt doco as a known issue.
Thanks in advance.
Hugh

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Hugh.

1. When you run the final javadoc on your code base, should you keep all the javadoc generated files in your submission (ie help-doc.html, allclasses-noframe.html,package-list etc.)

Yes. Include everything generated by javadoc.

2. This will only save the last settings for one connection type (server/local/client), as the file is overwritten each time.

I think this is fine. I did the same in my project. Persisting only between instances of the same mode. When running different mode, it reverted to defaults. Just remember to document this in choices.txt and user guide.

3. Testing on Solaris, I do not have access to a sloaris/linux box, only my win2000 box which I develop on. I have installed Cygwin (unix emulator) and tested on that on my win2000 box.
But the Cygwin testing still uses the underlying win2000 OS, so I am not too confident about the solaris side of testing.
I do not have a dual boot machine to install solaris on.
Any ideas??? I was going to just explain this in the choices.txt doco as a known issue.

I didn't test on Solaris either. Just on my XP and 98 boxes (also tested RMI over the network between these to boxes), and got a friend to very briefly (as in two minutes) test it on Linux. Again, just document it. Should be fine I think.
Hope that was helpful.
J

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic