• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is it ok to NOT taking care of client crash?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ranchers,

I do not want to take of client crash in my code, because it is not required in the docs and the chance for one client to crash with a locked record is pretty low.

Is it ok? Anybody passed the exam without taking care of it?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Zhang Jin

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jin,

I didn't implement any checks for client-crashing in my server code and didn't lose any marks for that. However I have mentioned this in my design choices document.

-- Serkan

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you mean "dead cliens", ie when client crashes while record is locked, then it is better to handle such situation. In my design I handled it and get 80 / 80 on locking mechanism.
[ June 04, 2004: Message edited by: Denis Spirin ]

Jin Zhang
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Thanks both of you!

80/80, wow! Pass is enough to me I think. Do not want to spend too much time on it. So... Serkan, may I know your score for the locking portion?

Cheers,
Zhang Jin

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think that to max out in the locking area you MUST have a mechanism that will prevent the locking of a record if the client crashes out. I did this by using a thin client design with the unlock on the server in a finally block.

Also document your descision.

Steve.
(I too got 80/80 locking)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Can anyone tell me how it is best to implement this client crash issue? I'm pretty stuck.

Thanx for any help.

Jarvis

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Jarvis,

If you implement a thin client (so the client calls a "book" method on the server which does the whole "lock - verify - update - unlock" process, then you should never need to deal with dead clients.

However if, like me, you think the client should be handling the booking process, then there is the potential for a client to die before disconnecting. (For more on the whole fat client / thin client issue, see the long thread "Should lock methods be callable by the client").

The easiest ways to handle this involve setting up a connection factory on the server. This way, each client will have a unique instance of the remote class which provides all the functionality. You then have two ways of handling client death:
  • Implement the Unreferenced interface, so that the instance of your remote class will eventually be notified if the client dies - you can then perform any clean up operations.
  • Use the instance of the remote object as the key in a WeakHashMap (with the object in the map being the lock), so that when the client dies, the lock will automagically be removed from the map (you may want to have an extra thread monitoring the status of the map).

• I have deliberately not gone into detail on any of these - have a think about them, and see if you can work out how to move forward with them.

Regards, Andrew

Serkan Yazici
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Originally posted by Jin Zhang:
    Hi,

Thanks both of you!

80/80, wow! Pass is enough to me I think. Do not want to spend too much time on it. So... Serkan, may I know your score for the locking portion?

Cheers,
    Zhang Jin

I've got 80/80 as well (without crashed client detection).
    [ June 11, 2004: Message edited by: Serkan Yazici ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic