• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

DVD Database & RMI (Max's book)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In Max's book it states "We are assuming that there can be several instances of DVDDatabase class and that they will need a mechanism for coordination" i.e. multiple instances of DVDDatabase, one per Client.

My question is this :

When using RMI am I right in thinking that only one instance of DVDDatabase will be created. I know (well I believe) that RMI will pass out a proxy of this class, but it is still only ever one instance of DVDDatabase Why, then does it say in the book that there could be many instances of DVD Database.

I'm sure the book is correct (great help by the way), but could someone help me clear up this issue of when more than one instance of a DVDDatabase would be created - please?

Thanks very much
Phil
[ June 08, 2004: Message edited by: Phil Harron ]

town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Phil Harron:
In Max's book it states "We are assuming that there can be several instances of DVDDatabase class and that they will need a mechanism for coordination" i.e. multiple instances of DVDDatabase, one per Client.

My question is this :

When using RMI am I right in thinking that only one instance of DVDDatabase will be created. I know (well I believe) that RMI will pass out a proxy of this class, but it is still only ever one instance of DVDDatabase Why, then does it say in the book that there could be many instances of DVD Database.

I'm sure the book is correct (great help by the way), but could someone help me clear up this issue of when more than one instance of a DVDDatabase would be created - please?

Thanks very much
Phil

[ June 08, 2004: Message edited by: Phil Harron ]

Hi Phil,

The point here was that there could, in fact, be multiple instances, and they would still be thread safe. However, only one is used.

HTH,
M

Phil Harron
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Of course,

Thanks very much Max

Regards