• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Testing client crashes

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello all,

this is not supposed to be a discussion on what to do with client crashes.
I have implemented a LockManager and in it i remove dead clients on certain occassions. Her is a piece of my code that shows how i do this :

I use eclipse to build debug etc. When i start multiple clients and kil one they have the same Thread, which means the thread is still alive. So i cannot test the removal of dead clients. Can someone help me with this one?!!

Thanks!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi Ricardo:
You need to start each client in different VM. For example, from the command prompet you can launch the server. Then, open a new command prompet window for each client, launch the client then test.
I used this technique to test my server and locking.

Ricardo Estafan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Does anyone know hot to accomplish this in Eclipse? I tried to start Eclipse two times, this isnn't possible. Or else how can i debug when i start the application from the command line?

Thanks!!

author and jackaroo
Mac IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Oracle C++ Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Ricardo,

I assume you are using RMI (since if you were using sockets, you would be creating the threads yourself, and this issue wouldn't even arise).

However you cannot use the thread number within RMI as a client identifier. According to the Sun RMI Specification:

A method dispatched by the RMI runtime to a remote object implementation may or may not execute in a separate thread. The RMI runtime makes no guarantees with respect to mapping remote object invocations to threads. Since remote method invocation on the same remote object may execute concurrently, a remote object implementation needs to make sure its implementation is thread-safe.

The behaviour you described is allowable under the specification, even if each of your clients was working on a separate computer (so 3 computers / 3 JVMs).

It is also quite possible that with only one client connected, it's call to lock() could be handled by one thread, it's call to update() could be handled by a different thread, and it's call to unlock() could be handled by a third thread!

This is why we generally recommend using a connection factory on your server if you want to handle client death scenarios. It is one of the simpler ways to handle this.

Regards, Andrew

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic