• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

B&S: create/delete/update in the GUI?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The DB interface provided by Sun has create/delete/update methods. But in the GUI requirements section, the only two operations mentioned are search and book. I wonder if you actaully provide the create, delete and the full update functionality in the GUI? Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by T. Anthony Chen:
The DB interface provided by Sun has create/delete/update methods. But in the GUI requirements section, the only two operations mentioned are search and book. I wonder if you actaully provide the create, delete and the full update functionality in the GUI? Thanks.

If you wish, but the grader will not give any extra points. I am leaning toward providing inactive buttons for those operations, toward the requirement for expanded functionality.

T. Anthony Chen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Anton. I am asking because I don't want to do anything I am not asked for. Got a busy job and two young kids. No time to waste here, man.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I am leaning toward providing inactive buttons for those operations, toward the requirement for expanded functionality.

Anton,

Remember to keep the GUI as clear and intuitive as possible. I don't think having inactive buttons on display is a good idea. The first thing that any user will do is click all the buttons. If some don't work I'd imagine you'd may lose points in this test.

Steven

Anton Golovin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Steven Hoodless:

Anton,

Remember to keep the GUI as clear and intuitive as possible. I don't think having inactive buttons on display is a good idea. The first thing that any user will do is click all the buttons. If some don't work I'd imagine you'd may lose points in this test.

Steven

Thanks, Steven. I was first thinking about providing create/delete, then about inactive buttons, and now I am thinking about not putting them in there at all. It's always good to get feedback from someone who has passed.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think following the instruction is important: no oversimplify or overcomplicate. I won't do that in GUI because it doesn't require that. But I need it in my data.java, this is required and I am sure they will test it. As many know, to code in GUI is relatively simple. Other that, I don't see any more technical issue brought to GUI programming than the current GUI requirement.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had the same question, but I think update function is necessary. because when user book a room , appliation need to use update function to update room number in database.
I think if we add delete and create function for gui, that means we must build a new interface for administrator. we can't mix this kind of function for normal client.
my question is : if I implement the delete and create function in Data.java, but I don't provide corresponding Gui for these functions. will I lose point from grader?
Is there anyone has done their project like what I metioned above?
could you tell me did you pass this test by a simple interface(no admin gui).
thanks

Originally posted by T. Anthony Chen:

T. Anthony Chen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You are right, Mark. The book functionality in the gui utilizes the update method at the db level. The difference is that book is just a subset of update. It only changes the owner field. The gui for book should be simpler than that for an update.

Whoever got anywhere by being normal? Just ask this exceptional tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic