• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Preliminary Project Stats - 2

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Sorry, I already posted a topic to this effect, which I deleted. This is the exact, more or less, project stats:

Total lines of code: 4391.
Total programming lines of code: approx. 2000
Commends: approx. 2391

Classes: 19 to 21, I am still considering merging some classes (originally had a verifier class that I am probably going to merge.)

Functionality is hidden behind interfaces.

Values are hard-coded into classes, some find themselves in a DataUtilities class, which holds some of centralized functionality.

Please comment if maybe you think I am underdoing it. The system works quite well, although I am still to implement a data model from AbstractTableModel.

Patterns used: Adapter to ease the Data class into business logic. MVC for the GUI.

Thanks.
[ September 21, 2004: Message edited by: Anton Golovin ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For what it's worth I totalled what I've recently ripped up in the last 3 weekends as a "release candidate":

18 classes/interfaces total, 2223 lines of code.

That's with 1/3 the comments required (yes, Bad Me).

I used a couple custom exceptions and the following patterns: Service Locator, DAO (esentially Adapter), DTO, and MVC.

Regards,

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can not believe you've used those patterns and managed to weigh in with just ~20 classes. I've used similar patterns and got 50 top level classes/interfaces.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Robert Chisholm:
For what it's worth I totalled what I've recently ripped up in the last 3 weekends as a "release candidate":

18 classes/interfaces total, 2223 lines of code.

That's with 1/3 the comments required (yes, Bad Me).

I used a couple custom exceptions and the following patterns: Service Locator, DAO (esentially Adapter), DTO, and MVC.

Regards,

Very impressive (lean code) metrics. My project metrics is around 5500 lines of code, and about 30 top-classes, and that is w.o. Javadocs (but with inline comments). I'm currently trying to refactor the app to a smaller footprint. Especially my gui code is very verbose (50% of the app).
I have six packages: db, net, gui, gui.controller, domain and util

/J

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Whow!! A whole lot of code! This is my statistics and ALL coding is done:

Packages: 5
Classes: 20
NCSS (Non Commenting Source Statements): 1052

Have i missed something? Why is your program code 2000+ lines?

mike acre
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm astounded! ~1000 lines of code!

Mine was 3200 NCLC over 50 classes.

I suppose if you haven't used transfer objects with a very minimal GUI, no caching, perhaps just Data & interface - it is about possible.
I know I've been purporting a minimalist design, but that doesn't mean I took my own advice! And that is probably why I'm still waiting for the result.
[ September 21, 2004: Message edited by: mike acre ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi all:
IMHO, software should not be measured with the size and the number of lines of code -of course unless it is abslutely required. One can do the whole project under one thousand line of code and in one or more classes, however it doesn't mean it is a good written code. A software should be measured of how easy it is to be mentained and extended. What I am trying to say is more code that easy to mentain and extend is much better than a compact code that no one can understand.

Mike Vess
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I suppose if you haven't used transfer objects with a very minimal GUI, no caching, perhaps just Data & interface - it is about possible.

Minimal gui? I dont know. I have four dialogs, create booking, update booking, book room and database setup. I think that i have done a lot more GUI code than necessary.

I am using RMI for communication and that reduces the amount of code compared to if i had used serialization instead.

mike acre
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Hanna Habashy:
IMHO, software should not be measured with the size and the number of lines of code

I think that goes without saying. I am taking it as read that all the designs are basically good, which of course they may not be. Without writing huge replies explaining designs, of course this is a fairly pointless exercise.

Robert Chisholm
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I wasn't trying to keep the classes/codebase small really. I treated it like "another project at work". So it just turned out that way.

Also, the B&S project sounds easier than some of the other projects I've heard about.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic